Nov 7, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
Twenty years ago today marked the last of Ayrton Senna’s 41 career Formula One victories, the Australian Grand Prix at Adelaide.
Senna’s 1993 was a season of overcoming adversity. Compared to the all-conquering Williams-Renaults that swept 15 of 16 pole positions and all bar five victories (one at Monaco, pictured right), Senna had to make due with an at-times geriatric McLaren-Ford chassis that didn’t have factory engine support.
His win at Adelaide came after leading 74 of 79 laps from his only pole position of the year. It was an emotional podium with Senna winning over longtime rival Alain Prost, who retired after the race. Prost won the 1993 World Championship, the fourth in his own illustrious career. Eventual World Champion Damon Hill finished third.
Senna’s win was also the last for a car with an active suspension. Things came full circle for him as he won the 1987 Monaco Grand Prix in a Lotus-Honda, the first win with active suspension.
Besides Prost, Riccardo Patrese and Derek Warwick also retired after this race. Williams sponsors Canon and Camel also withdrew from the sport at the end of the year.
While there’s a plethora of “Senna Adelaide 1993″ highlights on YouTube, here’s a quick three-minute clip from the race itself. Enjoy.
- It’s official: Redskins QB RG III to drive pace car at Richmond for Saturday’s Sprint Cup race 1
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 5
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 3
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (12)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)