Nov 7, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton heads into next weekend’s United States Grand Prix looking to extend his winning streak at the race that dates back to his debut season back in 2007.
The record might be slightly skewed as there have only been two races held in the U.S. since Hamilton’s debut with McLaren, but having won the races at Indianapolis in 2007 and the Circuit of the Americas last year, the Briton is yet to lose a grand prix on American soil.
“I am looking forward to going back [to Austin],” Hamilton explained. “I’d love to go back there and have a win. I love the track. What a turnout we had last year! It was one of the best races of the whole year. To come in on the first year and be one of the best races of the year was pretty spectacular.”
Hamilton has traditionally excelled in North America, boasting an impressive record at the Canadian Grand Prix with three wins at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. In fact, Hamilton has failed to win just one race that he has finished in North America, coming third at this year’s race in Montreal.
The race dropped off the calendar at the end of the 2007 season before finally returning last year at the newly-built Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX. However, the race was embraced and, as Hamilton explained, was one of the best of the season as he went toe-to-toe with Sebastian Vettel for the win. This year, there may not be a championship to play for, but it should still prove to be one of the season highlights as the F1 circus arrives in Austin next weekend.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 15
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3
- Jeff Gordon advances to next round of Chase with first Dover victory since 2001 6
- Open letter from Kevin Ward Jr.’s aunt questions Tony Stewart, evidence of marijuana in nephew’s system 52