Nov 7, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel has said that he is looking forward to returning to Austin, Texas, next weekend for the second United States Grand Prix to be held at the Circuit of the Americas.
The race is one of just two on the current calendar that Vettel is yet to win, having led a good part of last year’s race before being passed by McLaren’s Lewis Hamilton with fourteen laps remaining. The Briton went on to win the race by half a second, but the event as a whole was the real talking point as the F1 world embraced the sport’s return to the United States after a five year hiatus. For Vettel, returning to Austin will be a highlight in a season full of stand-out moments.
“It was fantastic last year,” Vettel said. “It was great to see that there were so many people. Really the special thing that we enjoy, apart from the track itself, is that the whole city was living the grand prix. You could feel that there was a special vibe and that everyone was looking forward to the event. I think it was generally very positive. We obviously look forward to going there again.”
Vettel also spoke about the challenge of the Circuit of the Americas, which has proven to be one of the more impressive ‘new build’ circuits to have graced Formula One in the past few years. The German driver wishes to collect another Pirelli cowboy hat on the podium that replaced the regular headwear given to the top three finishers.
“The track is tricky, very challenging, mixed, with high speed and slow corners. It was nice to be on the podium last year, nice to get a different kind of hat. We’ll try to do it again.”
Currently in the form of his life, Vettel is chasing an unprecedented eighth consecutive win in a single season after claiming his seventh in a row at last weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
- Chevrolet reveals its super speedway aero kit 1
- ARCA driver Brad Smith recovering from ankle surgery after Talladega wreck 0
- 21 years after his death, the legacy of Ayrton Senna burns as brightly as ever 2
- Honda reveals its super speedway aero kit Thursday at IMS (VIDEO) 9
- Ed Carpenter talks Newgarden’s win and preparing for superspeedway aero kit at Indy 4
- FOM confirms proposed 2016 F1 calendar has been leaked 0
- Jeff Gordon to drive new Chevrolet Z06 pace car for Indianapolis 500 4