Nov 8, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
The FIA has announced two new awards that will be presented at the motorsport governing body’s end of season prize-giving alongside the trophies for the championships under its jurisdiction.
The FIA Personality of the Year and FIA Moment of the Year are the first awards in the history of the federation that are open to votes from non-members, with the latter being decided by fans on Facebook.
For the Personality of the Year award, permanently-accredited members of the media will each have a vote for a personality who, according to the FIA’s website “should be attributed to a living motorsport figure – a driver, a team manager, an official, a volunteer, etc., affiliated to an FIA’s championship or event and who achieved an exceptional individual or collective performance during the 2013 season.” Therefore, two members of NBCSN’s Formula One team will have a vote for this award. Each member will vote for three personalities in stage one before selecting a final choice from a shortlist of ten.
A jury comprising of many leading FIA members has selected twelve stand-out moments from the season so far (none of which come from this year’s Formula One world championship), and fans have the chance to vote for their favorite on Facebook by liking the FIA’s official page.
Brazilian F1 legend Emerson Fittipaldi is pleased to see the FIA reach out to the fans via this scheme, saying: “It’s been a fantastic year of motorsport. I hope all fans and media will get involved and cast their vote.”
Fans can cast their vote by clicking here. The prize-giving gala will take place in Paris on December 6.
Video from NASCAR America
- Ryan Blaney passes Kyle Busch on final restart, hangs on to win Nationwide race at Bristol 0
- Kevin Harvick edges Jeff Gordon for Bristol Sprint Cup pole 0
- Will A.J. Allmendinger seek payback for Brad Daugherty’s practical joke? 0
- 2015 NASCAR Schedule to be Revealed Tuesday, 5 p.m. ET, on special NASCAR AMERICA 0
- Rossi disappointed, but diplomatic, after Marussia no-go 1
- Hamilton strikes back to top FP2 ahead of Rosberg in Belgium 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Belgian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0