Nov 8, 2013, 6:00 PM EDT
The FIA has announced two new awards that will be presented at the motorsport governing body’s end of season prize-giving alongside the trophies for the championships under its jurisdiction.
The FIA Personality of the Year and FIA Moment of the Year are the first awards in the history of the federation that are open to votes from non-members, with the latter being decided by fans on Facebook.
For the Personality of the Year award, permanently-accredited members of the media will each have a vote for a personality who, according to the FIA’s website “should be attributed to a living motorsport figure – a driver, a team manager, an official, a volunteer, etc., affiliated to an FIA’s championship or event and who achieved an exceptional individual or collective performance during the 2013 season.” Therefore, two members of NBCSN’s Formula One team will have a vote for this award. Each member will vote for three personalities in stage one before selecting a final choice from a shortlist of ten.
A jury comprising of many leading FIA members has selected twelve stand-out moments from the season so far (none of which come from this year’s Formula One world championship), and fans have the chance to vote for their favorite on Facebook by liking the FIA’s official page.
Brazilian F1 legend Emerson Fittipaldi is pleased to see the FIA reach out to the fans via this scheme, saying: “It’s been a fantastic year of motorsport. I hope all fans and media will get involved and cast their vote.”
Fans can cast their vote by clicking here. The prize-giving gala will take place in Paris on December 6.
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
- An anti-climactic race in China ahead of F1′s return to Europe 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)