Nov 8, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Now that Ryan Hunter-Reay and Andretti Autosport brought it back for IndyCar in 2013 – albeit with mixed success – the decision as to whether to use the No. 1 in 2014 falls to 2013 champion Scott Dixon and Target Chip Ganassi Racing.
The team has put the option out on its Facebook page as to whether Dixon should run the 1 or stay with his traditional No. 9. Thus far, the number of “likes” for the 1 far exceeds the number of “shares” to keep the 9.
If tradition’s your bend, the series champion should wear the 1, because of the honor and ambassadorial role you play for the series. If maintaining the same number for marketing and branding purposes takes precedence, then Dixon should keep the 9.
Dixon’s one previous season with the 1 was one of his most challenging. In 2004, he went winless, and his second-place finish at Phoenix was one of only two top-five finishes that year. He finished 10th in the championship.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: FP2 for the United States Grand Prix 0
- Sebastian Vettel to start United States GP from pit lane 0
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 1
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2