Nov 8, 2013, 12:30 PM EST
Now that Ryan Hunter-Reay and Andretti Autosport brought it back for IndyCar in 2013 – albeit with mixed success – the decision as to whether to use the No. 1 in 2014 falls to 2013 champion Scott Dixon and Target Chip Ganassi Racing.
The team has put the option out on its Facebook page as to whether Dixon should run the 1 or stay with his traditional No. 9. Thus far, the number of “likes” for the 1 far exceeds the number of “shares” to keep the 9.
If tradition’s your bend, the series champion should wear the 1, because of the honor and ambassadorial role you play for the series. If maintaining the same number for marketing and branding purposes takes precedence, then Dixon should keep the 9.
Dixon’s one previous season with the 1 was one of his most challenging. In 2004, he went winless, and his second-place finish at Phoenix was one of only two top-five finishes that year. He finished 10th in the championship.
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 1
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 2
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 1
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 21