Nov 8, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
The FIA GP2 and GP3 Series have got a few days of post-season testing in the books at Abu Dhabi following last weekend’s Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Both of their seasons are in the books – Fabio Leimer and Daniil Kvyat have captured the respective titles – and this test provided a look at some hoping to impress for 2014.
Chief among them is McLaren junior driver Stoffel Vandoorne of Belgium, who blitzed the Yas Marina circuit with a record lap of 1:48.657 on the third day of GP2 testing, driving for DAMS. The pole time set during the race weekend was American Alexander Rossi’s mark of 1:48.931. Vandoorne had not driven a GP2 car prior to the test, and raced in the World Series by Renault this year.
Giovanni Venturini (Trident) and Rio Haryanto (Caterham) also got into the 1:48 range during the afternoon session on day 3.
GP3 runner-up Facu Regalia got down to a 1:49.373 driving for the Barwa Addax operation in GP2. It would make sense for him to jump into GP2 with series champion Kvyat moving up to Scuderia Toro Rosso in 2014.
American Conor Daly’s waiting paid off and he had an opportunity with ART’s GP2 car. He only had one new set of tires available to him, which he used in the afternoon session. It marked his first GP2 outing since a one-off at Malaysia at the start of the year.
Swiss driver Patric Niederhauser led the GP3 sessions for Arden after eclipsing the mark set by ART’s Oliver Rowland in the morning of day 3. Niederhauser’s best time was a 1:55.372.
A few other names to note from GP3: Indy Lights driver Jack Hawksworth ended the third day of testing 10th fastest (1:55.991), fellow Englishman Dean Stoneman followed up his excellent Abu Dhabi race weekend with third place of 1:55.565, and Nissan GT Academy winner Jann Mardenborough, who competed at Le Mans this year in an LMP2 Zytek Nissan, was sixth quickest at 1:55.721.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Assessing Tony Stewart’s return at Atlanta (VIDEO) 0
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 1
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 4
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 1
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3