Nov 8, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Mark Webber is already setting his sights on his first victory at the 24 Hours of Le Mans as he enters his final two weeks as a Formula One driver.
The thirty-seven year old Australian made his F1 debut in 2002 with Minardi, but his best days have come with Red Bull since 2009 where he has won nine races and three constructors’ championships. However, Webber will retire at the end of the year in favor of joining Porsche’s LMP1 programme that will see him compete in the World Endurance Championship and the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and he is already setting his sights on winning the prestigious race.
“It’s human nature to want more, obviously I want to win Le Mans, to put that with the Monaco – that would be nice,” Webber explained on Australian TV.
“Whether one is enough there, maybe I want to grab a few. But of course you’ve got to get the first one done, which won’t be easy. So that’s the first goal, to win Le Mans, win that outright down the road. And then we’ll go from there.”
Webber is still looking to add one more grand prix victory to his collection in the final two races of the season, but with teammate Sebastian Vettel currently in the form of his life, he appears to face an uphill struggle. Nevertheless, his career has been an impressive one, and he explained in Abu Dhabi that he considers himself to be as good as many world champions.
However, with the all-conquering Audis dominating the race at Le Mans for over a decade now, Webber and Porsche may struggle to win the event at their first attempt in 2014.
- NHRA: Beckman blazes to second Funny Car win of season at Kansas; Crampton, Enders-Stevens also win 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 2
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 6
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4
- Rosberg lucks in to third straight Monaco GP win after Mercedes’ mistake costs Hamilton victory 52
- 2015 Indy 500 driver-by-driver one-liners 0