Nov 10, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Jeg Coughlin Jr. and Shawn Langdon (pictured) won NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series class championships in this weekend’s Auto Club NHRA Finals at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona, California.
Coughlin locked up his fifth Pro Stock title Sunday when Jason Line, the only other driver that was eligible for the title, lost in the second round of eliminations. With that, Coughlin became the eighth driver in NHRA history to win five pro series crowns.
“This was the tightest and one of the most intense championship races I’ve ever been involved with, and it certainly ranks right up there with the previous titles,” Coughlin said to NHRA.com about clinching.
As for Langdon, he won the Top Fuel title on Saturday in qualifying, and on Sunday, he celebrated by taking the Pomona race win over Doug Kalitta with a run of 3.784 seconds at 323.58 miles per hour.
In comments to the Los Angeles Times, Langdon expressed his thrill of winning the title at Pomona, a track where he watched many races while growing up.
“It’s weird to think back to where I started and where I’m at now,” Langdon said to the Times’ Mike DiGiovanna on Saturday. “Coming back to Pomona, where I grew up racing and watching my dad race, winning a championship, it’s a crazy feeling, a great feeling. It’s definitely a dream come true.”
Matt Hagan bested the recently-crowned Funny Car champion John Force in the FC final round, knocking off the legend with a 4.018-second run at 320.66 mph. Also earning event wins were Rickie Jones in Pro Stock (his first career win in the class) and Eddie Krawiec in Pro Stock Motorcycle.
Video from NASCAR America
- Carl Edwards: “I plan on winning 10 races and the championship” 2
- NASCAR: Dale Jr. expects even more performance in 2015 1
- UPDATED — Highway to Hell(cat): Owner wrecks 707-hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat one hour after buying it 53
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1