Nov 10, 2013, 12:55 PM EDT
The highly-anticipated Chase Race No. 9 – the Advocare 500 at Phoenix International Raceway – is set to go off in a little over two hours’ time, with the green flag scheduled for 3:18 p.m. ET.
All eyes will be on Jimmie Johnson (starting on pole) and Matt Kenseth (starting 14th) as they continue their tooth-and-nail battle for the Sprint Cup title; Johnson enters today with a seven-point lead over Kenseth in the championship.
Here are some nuggets of information to keep in mind as we get closer to the penultimate race of the season:
· Only four of the 34 Sprint Cup races at PIR have been won from pole position, but Johnson is one of the few to have pulled off the feat, doing so in the 2008 fall race there. The others: Jeff Gordon in the spring of 2007, Mark Martin in the spring of 2009, and Carl Edwards in the fall of 2010.
· Starting up front is an important factor for success at PIR. Nearly half (16 of 34) of its Sprint Cup races have been won from a starting position inside the top 10.
· After winning this past spring at PIR, Carl Edwards will look to be the sixth different driver to win consecutive races at the 1-mile oval. The five that have already done so is an impressive group: Davey Allison (1991,1992), Jeff Burton (2000, 2001); Dale Earnhardt Jr. (2003, 2004), Kevin Harvick (swept 2006), and Johnson (fall 2007, swept 2008; the only driver to win three consecutive PIR races).
· Hendrick Motorsports leads the series in wins at PIR with nine, followed by Roush Fenway Racing with seven.
· The winner of the PIR Chase race has gone on to win the championship three times: Johnson, 2007-2009.
· Going into today, there have been 39 Sprint Cup races staged in the state of Arizona: 34 at PIR, four at the Arizona State Fairgrounds in Phoenix, and one at the Tucson Rodeo Grounds in Tucson.
- Power steals final pole of IndyCar’s 2015 season with new track record at Sonoma 0
- Oriol Servia reflects on his friend Justin Wilson, as he races No. 25 car at Sonoma (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 1
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5