Nov 11, 2013, 10:46 AM EDT
Felipe Massa will race for Williams next year with Pastor Maldonado making way for the Brazilian driver at the team.
Williams announced they will retain Valtteri Bottas as Massa’s team mate for the 2014 season, with both drivers on multi-year contracts.
“We are delighted to be able to confirm our 2014 driver line-up and welcome Felipe into the Williams family,” said team founder Sir Frank Williams. “He is an exceptional talent and a real fighter on the race track; he also brings a wealth of experience as we begin a new chapter in our story.”
Massa said he had long harbored ambitions of join the team which has been home to several top Brazilian drivers including Ayrton Senna, Nelson Piquet and Rubens Barrichello.
“When I was a kid, I always dreamed about racing for Williams, Ferrari or McLaren and I’m glad to be signing with another icon of the sport following my time at Ferrari,” said Massa.
“I am looking forward to having Felipe as my team mate,” said Bottas, who will start his second season with the team next year. “He is a quick and experienced driver and together we will be pushing to the maximum to improve the car and get as many points as we can next season.”
Massa’s recruitment is part of an overhaul at the team which will also see Renault engines replaced with Mercedes power plants. Pat Symonds has been recruited to replace Mike Coughlan in their technical team. Deputy team principal Claire Williams said the confirmation of their driver line-up was “part of a number of announcements we will be making over the coming weeks”.
Video from NASCAR America
- COTA: A circuit to behold from the passenger’s seat 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Team Penske pushing for incredible season (VIDEO) 0
- Lotterer: “F1 (racing) isn’t what it used to be anymore” 0
- Joey Logano avoids “yellow fever,” wins at N.H. to advance in Chase 3
- Wreck involves several Chase drivers; Keselowski spins, suffers minor damage 1
- Rosberg reflects on a tough day in Singapore (VIDEO) 2
- Reports: 2015 Sprint Cup rules package expected to be released on Tuesday 2