Nov 11, 2013, 10:46 AM EST
Felipe Massa will race for Williams next year with Pastor Maldonado making way for the Brazilian driver at the team.
Williams announced they will retain Valtteri Bottas as Massa’s team mate for the 2014 season, with both drivers on multi-year contracts.
“We are delighted to be able to confirm our 2014 driver line-up and welcome Felipe into the Williams family,” said team founder Sir Frank Williams. “He is an exceptional talent and a real fighter on the race track; he also brings a wealth of experience as we begin a new chapter in our story.”
Massa said he had long harbored ambitions of join the team which has been home to several top Brazilian drivers including Ayrton Senna, Nelson Piquet and Rubens Barrichello.
“When I was a kid, I always dreamed about racing for Williams, Ferrari or McLaren and I’m glad to be signing with another icon of the sport following my time at Ferrari,” said Massa.
“I am looking forward to having Felipe as my team mate,” said Bottas, who will start his second season with the team next year. “He is a quick and experienced driver and together we will be pushing to the maximum to improve the car and get as many points as we can next season.”
Massa’s recruitment is part of an overhaul at the team which will also see Renault engines replaced with Mercedes power plants. Pat Symonds has been recruited to replace Mike Coughlan in their technical team. Deputy team principal Claire Williams said the confirmation of their driver line-up was “part of a number of announcements we will be making over the coming weeks”.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1