Nov 11, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Action sports legend Travis Pastrana will return to his roots, but leave NASCAR, at year’s end.
The 30-year-old currently ranks 14th in his first full season in the NASCAR Nationwide Series, with four top-10 finishes and a pole position at Talladega in April. His best result was ninth the week prior to that in Richmond.
Pastrana has driven a colorful, but largely unsponsored, No. 60 Ford for Roush Fenway Racing this season. Pastrana announced the decision on his Facebook page.
“I would like to thank them and all of the other people who stuck behind me during the last two years as I tried to learn how to make a successful career in NASCAR,” he said of Jack Roush’s support. “It’s tough to step back now and prove the critics were right, but unfortunately my results were not good enough to get the sponsors I needed to appropriately fund next season.
“I hate to quit and I hate to fail, but sometimes things work out as they should.”
Pastrana wrote he plans to resume in the Nitro Circus Live Tour next year. He’s also done rallying previously, either in American Rallycross or the fledgling Global Rallycross Championship. He said in Las Vegas this past week that he’ll make “some appearances” in GRC in 2014.
Video from NASCAR America
- Bubba Wallace pays homage to NASCAR Hall of Famer Wendell Scott with encore win at Martinsville 1
- Marussia also set to miss United States GP 8
- Jimmie Johnson: ‘That day is out there’ when he’ll split with crew chief Chad Knaus 7
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 3
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1