Nov 12, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Brazilian energy drink TNT will back Indianapolis 500 champion and Chip Ganassi Racing driver Tony Kanaan in a multi-year agreement, the team announced today.
Kanaan has maintained a partnership for several seasons with the drink, which currently serves as one of the top-selling brands of its kind in his home country.
The new pact comes more than one month after Kanaan announced during the Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston weekend that he would drive a fourth Ganassi car starting in 2014 with main sponsorship from NTT Data. TNT will be associated with that car, the No. 8 Chevrolet.
“TNT first came on-board with me at the end of 2010 and they were the first ones to tell me I would stay in the IndyCar Series when I had no sponsor and no team to race,” Kanaan said in a statement.
“So, I’m more than excited to have them join Chip Ganassi Racing for this new chapter of my career. I’m looking forward to a strong season with them at Chip Ganassi Racing.”
The energy drink brand is also hopeful that Kanaan’s exploits with Ganassi will lead to growth for its business here in the States.
“I’m excited about the continued relationship with Tony, the opportunity to be associated to such a successful team like Chip Ganassi Racing, and what the future holds for TNT Energy Drink in the IndyCar Series and in the U.S. market,” said Douglas Costa, marketing director for TNT’s parent company, Grupo Petropolis.
Petropolis is Brazil’s largest beverage company and owns the Itaipava beer brand, which has also been associated with Kanaan in recent times.
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0
- Rosberg tops FP1 at Silverstone after gearbox change 0
- NHRA: Tony Pedregon hopes to keep momentum going in Norwalk 0
- NHRA: New president Peter Clifford full of ideas to get drag racing back on-track 10
- Ryan Briscoe making most of filling in for James Hinchcliffe 1