Nov 12, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Robert Kubica intends to keep working towards a Formula One comeback despite conceding the chances of making it are extremely slim.
The former F1 driver suffered severe injuries in a crash during a rally in February 2011 which almost severed his right hand. In an interview with the BBC he admitted it was “nearly impossible” that he might return to racing in F1 one day.
“I will never take the opportunity if I don’t feel 100% ready,” he said. “If one day things improve, for sure we will see. For now, I am concentrating on rallying.”
Kubica won the junior World Rally Championship 2 class last month with five rally victories. He will enter his first event in a top-line World Rally Car in Britain later this month.
“I focus on my recovery – and rallying is helping me a lot in this,” said Kubica. “I can see a lot of improvement behind the wheel in a rally car.”
“Driving on gravel is very demanding. There are lots of movements on the steering wheel which put a lot of stress on my arm and my hand.
“But I know this does not help my biggest limitation, which is driving a single-seater. I do not have the power to take control of it but I will try my best.”
- NASCAR AMERICA: Wednesday Round-Up Includes Denny Hamlin Interview (VIDEO) 0
- Greg Ives to become crew chief for Dale Earnhardt Jr. next season 12
- Ten with Townsend: Toronto debrief 0
- Denny Hamlin’s team hit with big penalties after Brickyard infraction 4
- High 5: Chip Ganassi Racing’s win streak at Mid-Ohio (VIDEO) 0