Nov 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo led the thanks to outgoing driver Felipe Massa at the team’s annual Finali Mondiali (World Final) celebrations in Italy.
Massa was greeted by cheering fans at the track as he prepares to start his final two races as a Ferrari driver before joining Williams next year.
“Felipe has been a true Ferrari man and he will always be part of our history, for all the grands prix he drove for us, for the wins, the pole positions and for those few seconds when he was world champion that day in Brazil, before that overtaking move that always seemed a bit strange to me,” said di Montezemolo. Massa narrowly missed out on winning the 2008 world championship when Lewis Hamilton overtook Timo Glock on the final lap as the Toyota driver struggled for grip on a wet track on dry weather tires.
“I wish Felipe every success, starting with the last two races of this championship,” Montezemolo continued.
“As for the rest of his Formula One career, I wish him the very best, but naturally, behind a Ferrari and anyway, I am sure we will get many chances to meet up again, because life is long and he will always be part of our family.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 12
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Nico Rosberg 0
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0