Nov 12, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo led the thanks to outgoing driver Felipe Massa at the team’s annual Finali Mondiali (World Final) celebrations in Italy.
Massa was greeted by cheering fans at the track as he prepares to start his final two races as a Ferrari driver before joining Williams next year.
“Felipe has been a true Ferrari man and he will always be part of our history, for all the grands prix he drove for us, for the wins, the pole positions and for those few seconds when he was world champion that day in Brazil, before that overtaking move that always seemed a bit strange to me,” said di Montezemolo. Massa narrowly missed out on winning the 2008 world championship when Lewis Hamilton overtook Timo Glock on the final lap as the Toyota driver struggled for grip on a wet track on dry weather tires.
“I wish Felipe every success, starting with the last two races of this championship,” Montezemolo continued.
“As for the rest of his Formula One career, I wish him the very best, but naturally, behind a Ferrari and anyway, I am sure we will get many chances to meet up again, because life is long and he will always be part of our family.”
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 4
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 4
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 17
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 1
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (18)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)