Nov 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
In the 2014 IndyCar Series championship, teams will have a total of 18 testing days plus the opportunity to earn two bonus days if they test a current Indy Lights driver.
This morning’s announcement from INDYCAR also states that teams can earn two additional days for testing rookie drivers and that all new entrants will get four additional off-season team test days to go along with their original, 18-day allotment.
That 18-day period can be used by all full-season teams in any combination of engine manufacturer tests, team tests, Open Tests, straight-line tests and wind tunnel tests through the 2014 season finale at Auto Club Speedway.
“Our objective was to structure the testing rules so that everybody had equal opportunity and an equal number of days,” INDYCAR president of competition Derrick Walker said in a statement.
“Rather than INDYCAR designating specific numbers for each category of testing, the onus is on teams to utilize days as they feel is best for their individual program.”
Three Open Test sessions will take place next year at Barber Motorsports Park on March 17-18 (the “spring training” sessions), the re-configured Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course on April 30, and Auto Club Speedway on Aug. 27.
The latter two Open Tests will be held shortly before the tracks’ respective races – the inaugural Grand Prix of Indianapolis on May 10 and the season-ending MAV TV 500 on Aug. 30.
Engine manufacturers Chevrolet and Honda will have five on-track test days.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3