Nov 13, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
In the 2014 IndyCar Series championship, teams will have a total of 18 testing days plus the opportunity to earn two bonus days if they test a current Indy Lights driver.
This morning’s announcement from INDYCAR also states that teams can earn two additional days for testing rookie drivers and that all new entrants will get four additional off-season team test days to go along with their original, 18-day allotment.
That 18-day period can be used by all full-season teams in any combination of engine manufacturer tests, team tests, Open Tests, straight-line tests and wind tunnel tests through the 2014 season finale at Auto Club Speedway.
“Our objective was to structure the testing rules so that everybody had equal opportunity and an equal number of days,” INDYCAR president of competition Derrick Walker said in a statement.
“Rather than INDYCAR designating specific numbers for each category of testing, the onus is on teams to utilize days as they feel is best for their individual program.”
Three Open Test sessions will take place next year at Barber Motorsports Park on March 17-18 (the “spring training” sessions), the re-configured Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course on April 30, and Auto Club Speedway on Aug. 27.
The latter two Open Tests will be held shortly before the tracks’ respective races – the inaugural Grand Prix of Indianapolis on May 10 and the season-ending MAV TV 500 on Aug. 30.
Engine manufacturers Chevrolet and Honda will have five on-track test days.
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 0
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 1
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)