Franchitti forced to retire after Houston injuries (VIDEO)

Nov 14, 2013, 3:23 PM EST

Dario Franchitti has announced that as a result of his injuries suffered at Houston in October, he will be forced to stop his racing career.

Franchitti will leave IndyCar racing after four championships and three Indianapolis 500 victories.

Here’s his statement in full, released on the Target Chip Ganassi Racing website:

“Since my racing accident in Houston, I have been in the expert care of some of the leading doctors and nurses, all of whom have made my health, my safety and my recovery their top priority.  I am eternally grateful for the medical care I have received over the last several weeks.  I’d also like to thank my family and friends for their unbelievable support.

One month removed from the crash and based upon the expert advice of the doctors who have treated and assessed my head and spinal injuries post accident, it is their best medical opinion that I must stop racing.  They have made it very clear that the risks involved in further racing are too great and could be detrimental to my long term well-being.  Based on this medical advice, I have no choice but to stop.

Racing has been my life for over 30 years and it’s really tough to think that the driving side is now over.  I was really looking forward to the 2014 season with Target Chip Ganassi Racing, with a goal of winning a fourth Indianapolis 500 and a fifth IndyCar Series championship.

I’d like to thank all my fellow competitors, teammates, crew and sponsors for their incredible support over the course of this amazing ride.  I’d also like to thank Hogan Racing, Team KOOL Green and Andretti Green Racing for the opportunities to compete on the racetrack, and especially Target Chip Ganassi Racing, who have become like a family to me since I joined their team back in 2008.  I would be remiss if I didn’t thank all my fans around the world.  I can’t thank you enough for standing by my side for all these years.

I’ll forever look back on my time racing in CART and the IndyCar Series with fond memories and the relationships I’ve forged in the sport will last a lifetime.

Hopefully in time, I’ll be able to continue in some off-track capacity with the IndyCar Series.  I love open-wheel racing and I want to see it succeed.  I’ll be working with Chip to see how I can stay involved with the team, and with all the amazing friends I’ve made over the years at Target.

As my buddy Greg Moore would say, ‘See you up front.’”

UPDATE, 2:00 p.m. ET, Friday: NBCSN IndyCar pit reporter Marty Snider called into NBCSN’s “SportsDash” on Friday to discuss the injuries.

Latest Posts
  1. Grosjean keen to remind F1 paddock of his ability in 2015

Mar 6, 2015, 12:05 PM EST

AUTO-PRIX-F1-ESP-TEST Getty Images

Frenchman hopes to make up for a difficult 2014 campaign that yielded just eight points in total.

2. F1 2015 team preview: Scuderia Ferrari

Mar 6, 2015, 11:00 AM EST

AUTO-F1-ESP-TEST-FERRARRI Getty Images

A revolution has taken place at Maranello over the winter following Ferrari’s worst F1 performance in over 20 years.

3. FIA considering tender for new Formula 1 teams

Mar 6, 2015, 10:00 AM EST

Formula E Championship In Buenos Aires - Jean Todt Press Conference Getty Images

Gene Haas may not be alone in bringing a new team into F1 in the near future.

4. Manor in “advanced discussion” with drivers over second seat

Mar 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Russia - Previews Getty Images

After its remarkable comeback, the team is yet to confirm who its second driver will be in Australia.

5. Big Australian V8 Supercars shocker: Shane van Gisbergen heads to Triple Eight for 2016

Mar 5, 2015, 6:44 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

“The Giz” heads to V8SC’s biggest team in a three-year deal as the team’s third car.

6. IndyCar: Happy 20th birthday to Ganassi rising star Sage Karam

Mar 5, 2015, 5:23 PM EST

Getty Images Getty Images

“SK$” turns 20. Sage Karam will make his second IndyCar start at season-opening race in St. Petersburg.

7. Jean-Eric Vergne chasing “amazing” home win for Andretti at Miami ePrix

Mar 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

Formula E Championship - Buenos Aires Getty Images

JEV wants to clinch Andretti a home win when Formula E hits U.S. shores in Miami later this month.

8. More movements in GP2, GP3, Formula Renault 3.5 for 2015

Mar 5, 2015, 4:00 PM EST

© GP2 Media Service © GP2 Media Service

All of the latest news from some of F1’s most prominent junior championships.

9. GP2: Marlon Stockinger confirmed at Status Grand Prix

Mar 5, 2015, 3:00 PM EST

_W2Q1556

Filipino-Swiss driver moves from Formula Renault 3.5 for 2015.

10. Hamilton: “I want to be better” in bid for third title

Mar 5, 2015, 2:00 PM EST

Hamilton 262a Getty Images

British driver sends out an ominous statement of intent ahead of the first race of the year in Australia on March 15.

11. F1 2015 team preview: Williams Martini Racing

Mar 5, 2015, 1:00 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi Getty Images

Can Massa and Bottas pick up where they left off at the end of 2014?

12. Manor passes final crash tests ahead of Australian GP

Mar 5, 2015, 12:07 PM EST

AUTO-PRIX-RUS Getty Images

Team now all set to race in Australia on March 15 after passing the FIA crash tests.

13. Formula E: Scott Speed in at Andretti for Miami ePrix

Mar 5, 2015, 12:00 PM EST

Bojangles' Southern 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

Add another American to the Formula E roster for 2015 as Speed replaces Marco Andretti for the first of two home races.

14. Reports: Giedo van der Garde steps up legal action against Sauber F1 Team

Mar 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EST

Singapore F1 GP Auto Racing AP

Dutch driver reportedly seeking an urgent court order that would get him on the grid for the upcoming Australian Grand Prix.

15. Ecclestone: Decision on German GP due this weekend

Mar 5, 2015, 9:30 AM EST

F1 Grand Prix of Germany Getty Images

With neither Hockenheim nor the Nurburgring prepared to host the race in 2015, the outlook is bleak for a German Grand Prix.

16. IndyCar: Arrow Electronics to sponsor Hinchcliffe; number changes to 5

Mar 5, 2015, 9:00 AM EST

Photo: INDYCAR Photo: INDYCAR

New sponsor, new number (again) for Hinchcliffe’s 2015 IndyCar campaign.

17. Honda’s IndyCar aero kit launch plan comes into focus

Mar 4, 2015, 5:14 PM EST

Honda Indy Toronto - Day 1 Getty Images

Honda hints at more about its aero kits, while tossing out two dates of note.

18. PWC: 2015 driver/team rundown, GTS

Mar 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EST

WC

Look through the Pirelli World Challenge field continues with a look at GTS.