Nov 14, 2013, 6:20 PM EDT
“Obviously we’re not going to make up the deficit on performance. I think Jimmie could run 28th through the grass or with three wheels on,” he joked during today’s media conference at Homestead.
“He’s going to have to have a mechanical problem or crash to make something happen. We’ll have to be up in the top five to hold on to second or to overtake Jimmie if he has a problem.”
Kenseth appears more focused on holding onto second in points over Phoenix winner Kevin Harvick. Harvick is among a handful of drivers making their final starts with their respective teams this weekend; he signs off his seat at Richard Childress Racing.
“We have to outrun Kevin to maintain second,” Kenseth said. “If Jimmie does have a problem, he’s so far ahead, the problem needs to be fairly severe. If it is, you need to be pretty far toward the front because hypothetically he could have a problem, if Kevin and I are running around 12th and 13th, Jimmie could still win. We have to go out with the idea of trying to win the race, lead laps, be in the front group, trying to get the best finish we can.”
Harvick, meanwhile, has the opportunity for his best ever finish in the championship after several third place finishes.
“I feel like we as a team have done better than what we’ve done in the past as far as the Chase goes with winning, which is what we felt like we needed to win a race or two in the Chase,” he said. “We knew going in we couldn’t make any mistakes because you’re racing against guys that have had a great year, are capable of winning every week. So we knew when we left Loudon that we had made a big mistake. That’s just the way it goes. You just have to race every week. We’ve had a good Chase.”
The battle for second may not be as “sexy” as the one for the championship, but it is the more likely one to play out on Sunday.
But hey, maybe Kenseth’s prognostication comes to fruition and Johnson drives a tricycle for a lap or two. It would certainly spice things up.
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)