NBC Sports presents over 18 hours of United States GP coverage

Nov 14, 2013, 12:30 PM EST

F1 Grand Prix of USA Getty Images

The United States Grand Prix is one of the most hotly anticipated races on the Formula One calendar, with Austin, Texas, welcoming drivers, teams and fans from all over the world. It appears that Formula One has found a good foothold in the US, and the second grand prix to be held at the Circuit of the Americas will look to build upon the success of the inaugural event that was won by Lewis Hamilton.

However, all eyes will be on Sebastian Vettel who aims for an unprecedented eighth consecutive victory this Sunday, when NBC Sports presents live coverage of the Formula One United States Grand Prix at 1 p.m. CT, highlighting more than 18 hours of Formula 1 coverage across NBC, NBCSN and CNBC this weekend.

Race coverage will begin with F1 Countdown, NBC’s 60-minute, on-site pre-race show, at noon CT hosted by NBC Sports Group’s lead F1 commentator Leigh Diffey. Diffey will be on-site at the Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas, alongside David Hobbs (analyst), Steve Matchett (analyst), and Will Buxton (reporter).

In addition to pre-race analysis, F1 Countdown will feature a sit-down interview with Diffey and Vettel, and an introduction to the race voiced over by Rush director Ron Howard.

NBCSN will air live coverage of practice on Friday at noon CT. Live coverage of qualifying will air Saturday on CNBC at noon CT. In addition to NBC’s live coverage of the Formula One United States Grand Prix, NBCSN will air an encore presentation of the race on Sunday at 5 p.m. CT.
Schedules are subject to change, but this is the coverage plan as outlined:
DATE COVERAGE NETWORK TIME
Fri., November 15 United States Grand Prix – Practice NBCSN 1 p.m.
Fri., November 15 United States Grand Prix – Practice (Encore) NBCSN 10 p.m.
Sat., November 16 F1 36 NBCSN 12:30 a.m.
Sat., November 16 United States Grand Prix – Qualifying CNBC 1 p.m.
Sat., November 16 United States Grand Prix – Qualifying (Encore) NBCSN 6:30 p.m.
Sat., November 16 United States Grand Prix – Qualifying (Encore) NBCSN 11 p.m.
Sun., November 17 F1 Countdown NBC 1 p.m.
Sun., November 17 United States Grand Prix NBC 2 p.m.
Sun., November 17 United States Grand Prix (Encore) NBCN 6 p.m.

*All times ET

NBC Sports Live Extra — NBC Sports’ live streaming product for desktops, mobile devices, and tablets — will provide live comprehensive streaming coverage of the Formula One United States Grand Prix, as well as practice and qualifying in the days preceding the race . Coverage will be streamed via “TV Everywhere,” the media industry’s effort to make quality content available to MVPD customers both in and out of home and on multiple platforms.

For desktops, NBC Sports Live Extra can be accessed at NBCSports.com/liveextra. The NBC Sports Live Extra app for mobile devices and tablets is available at the App Store for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, and on select Android handset and tablet devices within Google Play.

Coverage airing on:

• NBC will live stream to PCs, mobile devices and tablets through NBC Sports Live Extra;
  • NBCSN will live stream to PCs, mobile devices and tablets through NBC Sports Live Extra, and to the digital platforms of participating cable, satellite, and telco services, via “TV Everywhere,” which is available on an authenticated basis to subscribers of participating MVPDs.

Further to the TV coverage, be sure to use MotorSportsTalk as your definitive source for all news, interviews and features from the United States Grand Prix weekend, as well as following @F1onNBCSports on Twitter for live commentary throughout the televised sessions.

1. uplander99 - Nov 14, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Let’s be clear here NBCSN, that’s only 6 hours of live first run content. A whopping half hour more than a typical F1 weekend.

• worknman24hours - Nov 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Heck,i’m just glad they’ve decided to play the race on regular tv and to do the unusual thing and replay it .

2. sburke719 - Nov 16, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Thanks very much for cutting off the last 30 minutes of qualifying, going from 10 min left in Q3 before going to commercials, and returning proclaiming Vettel as the polesitter.

• notyourtypicalmoron - Nov 17, 2013 at 5:21 AM

I think you mean ten minutes left in Q2.

3. jsb1963 - Nov 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Thanks for nothing NBC, your coverage of F1 sucks. We missed qualifying so you could broadcast curling trials. SERIOUSLY! I hope F1 Cancels your contract.

4. tcroly - Nov 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

NBC sports really doesn’t have a clue. First to scroll the F1 qualifying results at the scheduled start for the qulifying broadcast, while showing curling. Then they cut from 10 mintues left in Qulifying session 2 to the end of qualifying. What a useless broadcaster. I guess they don’t understand the concept of SPORT.

5. packard2352 - Nov 16, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Isn’t this the same network that gave America the Infamous Oakland Raiders “Heidi Game” ???? Whether it is are not, you wombats are following in those famous foot steps. If I had only wanted to find out who qualified where I would have looked it up on line. I wanted to WATCH qualifying, NOT totally skip the third session !!!!!!!

6. f1fanbutnotnbc - Nov 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM

This coverage is a disgrace. They cut up qualifying sessions 2 & 3 because they over ran on the live curling trials. The editor knew nothing about F1 and didn’t care to ask. Please fire the editor and replace them with someone who can buy a vowel.

7. ewyllis - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:41 PM

What an amazing display of complete incompetence by NBC sports, you cover q1, part of q2 and NONE of q3!! Amazing! And you don’t even have a pair to step up and apologize? If you can’t handle F1 give it back to SpeedTV.

8. ewyllis - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Where’s the story on your botched coverage of qualifying? One race in the US and you can’t even get qualifying right. Incredible. Where’s the apology! Grow a pair!

9. bringf1backtospeed - Nov 16, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I am so fed up with NBC and their coverage of F1. This is amateur hour.

I couldnt watch qualifying live because my channel for CNBC was out and Charter couldnt fix it until next week. So i had to watch the rebroadcast on NBCSN. Fine, i’ll time-shift it. As i’m watching the rebroadcast I didnt even hear any comment; the broadcast just jumped from 10 mins left in Q2 to declaring the pole sitter. This is our HOME EVENT!!! I took time off work to watch live.
    Now it appears I need to watch race day on my local NBC affiliate and this has me deeply concerned.

I could go on and on but forget it. The Re-rebroadcast for qualification comes on in a few hours, lets see what thats like.

If you think NBC cant handle the responsibility of broadcasting Formula1 in the US thumbs up.

10. racerphotog - Nov 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM

If you guys would have read the schedule, qualifying was on CNBC, live. You guys watched the rebroadcast. I watched the whole 1 1/2 hours of qualifying on CNBC.

• notyourtypicalmoron - Nov 17, 2013 at 5:36 AM

There was nothing in my schedule to indicate F1 was on CNBC. My DVR is set to automatically record anything with “Formula” in the title, on any channel. It did not record.

I remember the first time they made this last minute shift to CNBC. I was freaking out because the race was nowhere on the tv guide. I was watching a DVR qualifying session and at the last minute they mentioned it would be on CNBC at a specific time. I went to CNBC at the announced time to watch and sure enough it was on live, but the tv guide has some other title/listing that had nothing to do with F1.

I also just remembered watching the Olympics in 2012 on NBC. They were also completely inept in their coverage. I remember commenting a lot and seeing thousands of tweets on a channel devoted to them. I think it was called @NBCOLYMPICSFAIL. NBC has a poor track record, especially regarding F1 track.

• pension7ed - Nov 17, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Not good enough. I scheduled
      a recording of what NBC promised on NBC SPORTS- 1-1/2 hrs of qualifying and got 30 mintues of curling and a totally amateurish production of F1 Qualifying. Speed Channel was dedicated to their job of presenting Auto Racing to fans. NBC thinks they can feed us curling. A$$HOLES!

• pension7ed - Nov 17, 2013 at 7:58 AM

So what NBC is feeding us isthat we have to search all of their channels and guess which one will actually present the content promised.

• indycarseries500 - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:41 AM

No they told you about it 8000 times the last 3 or 4 weeks.

11. notyourtypicalmoron - Nov 17, 2013 at 5:13 AM

I was really pissed off today when I got home to watch Formula One Austin qualifying. I was watching with ten minutes left in Q2 when they cut to commercial. When it came back they were showing Vettel getting out of his car proclaiming him the pole sitter. We missed more than half of the entire qualifying session. This is the BIGGEST FAIL EVER in American Formula One coverage.

It was bad enough NBC has often delayed broadcast of the sessions to air some other nonsense. It was bad enough they often move the broadcast to CNBC, often at the last minute so the TV guide in my DVR has no information about it leading to my missing the program. My DVR is set to record any program that has the words Formula One in the title. Often the program changes the title to something difficult to discern or otherwise makes it impossible to identify.

I hope NBC loses the F1 contract. I have already written a letter to the FIA to complain. SPEEDTV would NEVER have done any of this.

I still can’t believe they chopped off the most interesting qualifying session. Truly unbelievable. FAIL FAIL FAIL

12. notyourtypicalmoron - Nov 17, 2013 at 5:21 AM

BTW, I had no idea that F1 Qualifying was on LIVE on CNBC. How are we supposed to know to program our DVR’s for when we are not at home? I try to watch live every chance I get, but I depend a lot on the DVR guide to catch this stuff. The CNBC broadcasts do not even have the same title as the NBCSN events. NBC misses an awful lot of little things that really screw it up. They are extremely unprofessional. If they were one of my reports I would fire them on the spot.

• testover6370 - Nov 21, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I use a great website called tvracerdotcom (not sure if links are allowed here so I’ll just spell it out). They have the channel and time for every racing event on TV, major or minor, including practice and qualifying events, for the next two days, as well as the next event for all major series, and weekend events a week out. I follow F1, Indycar, ALMS, Grand Am, WRC, GRC, BTCC, DTM, WEC, PWC, and short track stuff, and I never have to look at their individual schedules. I just pull up the website and program the DVR from there. Even though NBC told us until they were blue in the face that qualy would be on CNBC, I instinctively went to NBCSN to record qualy. When I saw it was curling, I double checked the website and was reminded it was on CNBC. Seriously, it is the best resource for a racing fan. I’d be lost without it.

Also, I subscribe to this blog on an RSS feed going to Feedly, and that’s where I first caught the news announced about a month ago that qualy for the final three races would be live on CNBC. I find it pretty useful to subscribe to the coverage-provider’s blog/news so in the case of last minute schedule changes I’m updated.

13. jovert09 - Nov 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I am watching on NBC for sure, and posted on Facebook for all my friends to know.

14. jpl19 - Nov 17, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Can you say ” Heidi” ? I am a viewer and should not have to hunt a multitude of channels to watch something. Find some true professionals to run your network.

15. mikecarter69 - Nov 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

What a joke, after screwing up the qualifying coverage, I favor of curling, we now have the actual race not being shown live because of women’s curling. Sadly the live broadcast which got moved to a local station is not being shown because of weather reports. Well done NBC… Curling what a joke!

16. purplesectornet - Nov 17, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Had to come out of the shadows just to post my displeasure here…worst F1 race broadcast I have seen on US television in decades….just HORRIBLE….a commercial every 5 laps….just PATHETIC…

• bringf1backtospeed - Nov 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM

with respect to commercials one thing I loved about speeds coverage is that they would pack in commercials during the pre race with less during the race and I dont think they would have a commercial for the first 15-20 minutes of the race.

17. nathanielrowland2013 - Nov 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I just went through the trouble of creating an account in order to voice my extreme… disappointment … and anger at today’s Live Extra coverage of the F1 Austin GP. What a mess. The best that can be said about it is that they it didn’t do the “skip” thing as much (where they are talking about one thing and then suddenly its like you changed the channel and they are talking about something else – This has nothing to do with the connection). But what a complete failure on coverage today, had commercials, like someone posted before, an average of every 5 laps; as soon as Vettel got out of his car in Parc Ferme they cut to commercial …. for 15 minutes! …wtf. I was beyond pissed off, it was just pitiful. They then cut back for about 10 seconds, the track clock was visible on their overview shot and they cut back to commercial…. Then after another round of odd commercials… (ie not the normal 3-4 commercials that play over and over, often back to back) and a few minutes of the “Coverage Will Resume Shortly” screen they cut back into the broadcast and briefly apologize for technical errors. In the next shot as the broadcast resumed you could see the track clock again, reading 6 minutes prior to what it read 5 or 10 minutes ago. Really spoiled my enjoyment of the moment knowing that what I was watching already took place 10ish minutes ago. In total agreement with previous posters, if NBC cant handle the broadcast. Dont. Hopefully it has hit a critical level of incompetence this weekend and will trigger a kneejerk reaction from the producers or whoever pulls the strings to straighten up their act because after this weekend there is MAJOR work to be done.

18. drylake - Nov 18, 2013 at 12:57 AM

I wonder how much of that post race fiasco was the F1 feed? What a waste. This is not NBC’s fault, but I absolutely hate the F1 broadcast graphics. It is the pinnacle of racing in the world, but such an anal retentive organization. Thanks so much to Vettel for all the rule breaking, like leaving his car and the doughnuts. This guy is a breath of fresh air.

19. jezza819 - Nov 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

To miss the live podium and post race interviews was not good but I don’t know where the fault lies. I don’t know if it was the FOM broadcast or NBC trouble.

For everyone moaning and groaning about missing qualifying, they told you I think two races ago that live qualifying was going to be on CNBC for the last three races.

20. testover6370 - Nov 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Now I finally had to sign up so I could respond to this absurd complaining. I can’t count how many times NBC mentioned that qualifying would be live on CNBC. They mentioned it multiple times during practice, qualifying, and the race during the last GP weekend. It was mentioned multiple times on this website. They mentioned it multiple times during practice earlier this weekend. If you didn’t watch any of the last Grand Prix weekend, didn’t watch practice this weekend, don’t read any news about Formula One, it is really hard to believe you’re an F1 fan and actually concerned about missing qualifying.

If you want a fantastic one-stop place to find the date, time, and channel of any race tv showing, tvracer.com is a great resource. Instead of just trusting your DVR to pick stuff up, be a pro-active fan and actually find out when and where stuff will be aired.

I actually bothered to pay attention to when and where things would be on TV, and I watched full qualifying live and in high definition, no curling, nothing cut out besides the typical commercial breaks. Certainly got the entire shootout for the pole in Q3. It was fantastic and I really enjoyed watching it. I didn’t have to put much effort into finding qualifying at all, but I was willing to put some in because, again, I’m actually a fan of racing and can be bothered to learn more about it instead of just complaining after the fact.

NBC has 3 high def channels to share their coverage and that allows them to cover multiple sports live, which is great. If this was still on Speed, now Fox Sports 1, it would have been preempted by college football or pre-practice NASCAR coverage, and would only have been shown tape-delayed sometime next week on the low-def-only FS2. We have it really good on NBC.

21. kitnamania13 - Nov 19, 2013 at 8:30 PM

I guess someone at NBC told the boys they didn’t dumb down the Monaco broadcast enough for the NBC audience. Matchett was practically having to tell the viewers that an F1 car has 4 tires.

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches