Nov 14, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT
American Le Mans Series stalwarts Muscle Milk Pickett Racing will be sticking around the sports car ranks as part of the new TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. But with their P1 cars not eligible for the new TUSC, they’re going to do things a bit differently.
The team will field a full-time Prototype Challenge program, which will mark its second foray into the class after a part-time run alongside its P1 program in 2012. Its first outing with the ORECA FLM09 will come this weekend during a test session at Sebring International Raceway in Florida.
“Entering a PC car made a lot of sense to us on many different levels,” team owner Greg Pickett said in a statement. “We know this car and we’ve had success with it in the past and we’re looking forward to more of that. It will once again be a very competitive season in the PC ranks and we’re happy to be able to be a part of it.
“This gives us a chance to get an up close and personal look at some up and coming talent. These are big, powerful, fun to drive cars and they require the kind of engineering set-up support and race strategy we have shown to be so successful with over the last couple of years in P1.”
More details on the team’s 2014 plans, including its driver lineup, will be announced at a later date.
As this past season played out, the team explored venturing into other series such as the IndyCar Series. In that series’ event this past August at Sonoma Raceway, Pickett directly provided support to a second Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing entry for one of his drivers, Lucas Luhr (although the entry was not one from Muscle Milk Pickett Racing).
But in the end, Pickett felt that, in his words, “our heart is in sports car racing.”
“This is only one piece of the puzzle that has fallen into place for us,” he said. “All I can say is that we’re very excited about the future at Muscle Milk Pickett Racing.”
Photo Credit: Muscle Milk Pickett Racing
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 5
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1