Nov 15, 2013, 5:45 PM EDT
Four-time world champion Sebastian Vettel may have finished fastest in the second free practice session for this weekend’s United States Grand Prix, but he still believes that there is room for improvement heading into qualifying on Saturday.
Vettel failed to bother the front-runners in FP1 as he opted to run with heavy fuel and focus on his long runs, and subsequently finished down in eighteenth place. However, he and Red Bull teammate Mark Webber were in a class of their own during the second session, easily finishing P1 and P2. Nevertheless, Vettel is still looking for more.
“The circuit was quite slippery today; I was happy with the car, but you always know you can improve here and there,” Vettel said after practice. “I think we got through the programme we were able to test some things, some were good and some not so good, but we will see.”
Vettel has highlighted four teams as being in contention, although his seven race winning streak heading into this weekend suggests that it will take a retirement or incident during the race to deny the German driver.
“Ferrari looked quick this morning and McLaren could be a surprise here, and Lotus and Mercedes will be strong as normal. The track will improve now unless it rains, the car worked well on the tires, so we’ll see what we can do on Sunday.”
The United States Grand Prix is one of just two races on the current calendar that Vettel is yet to win, with the other being the Hungarian Grand Prix.
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 3
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15