Nov 16, 2013, 9:15 PM EDT
Many IndyCar folks have been here on the ground in Austin at Circuit of the Americas this weekend. To wit, we’ve already touched on Simona de Silvestro visiting with Sauber for a photo op, the series president of competition and operations Derrick Walker’s possible series changes, and circuit ambassador and racing legend Mario Andretti’s opinions on IndyCar’s 2014 schedule and Heikki Kovalainen’s settling into Lotus.
But, there’s even more bits and pieces that are emerging:
- Luca Filippi, who starred in his cameo appearances for Bryan Herta Autosport/Barracuda Racing this year, is close to a full-time deal with the team for 2014 per multiple sources. The Italian made an incredible and indelible impression on the team at Mid-Ohio, Baltimore and Houston. He’s here this weekend with TV work with English broadcaster Sky Sports.
- Michael Andretti joins his father Mario on the premises. The middle Andretti confirmed a RACER report that Craig Hampson will move into a team R&D role, with Nathan O’Rourke moving over from Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing to become James Hinchcliffe’s engineer. Hinchcliffe, who was scheduled to test Monday in Sebring, will not test now and that leaves just Ryan Hunter-Reay and Carlos Munoz to test.
- Charlie Kimball was also here today, in the midst of a whirlwind offseason, as a guest of the Mercedes F1 Team. Kimball said any rumblings about who could enter the Chip Ganassi Racing fold to replace the retired Dario Franchitti was “above his pay grade.”
- 2015 British Grand Prix Preview 0
- Here are your British Grand Prix air times on CNBC, NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Miles: After “two-sided pancake” Fontana race, IndyCar may crack down against stakeholder comments 10
- IndyCar issues penalties and fines following MAVTV 500 at Fontana 2
- NHRA shakeup: Tom Compton retires as president, Peter Clifford named successor 6
- Ed Carpenter: driver criticism of IndyCar ‘confusing for fans’ 18
- Hawksworth: “I wouldn’t say it was crazy; it was exciting” 2