Nov 16, 2013, 9:15 PM EST
Many IndyCar folks have been here on the ground in Austin at Circuit of the Americas this weekend. To wit, we’ve already touched on Simona de Silvestro visiting with Sauber for a photo op, the series president of competition and operations Derrick Walker’s possible series changes, and circuit ambassador and racing legend Mario Andretti’s opinions on IndyCar’s 2014 schedule and Heikki Kovalainen’s settling into Lotus.
But, there’s even more bits and pieces that are emerging:
- Luca Filippi, who starred in his cameo appearances for Bryan Herta Autosport/Barracuda Racing this year, is close to a full-time deal with the team for 2014 per multiple sources. The Italian made an incredible and indelible impression on the team at Mid-Ohio, Baltimore and Houston. He’s here this weekend with TV work with English broadcaster Sky Sports.
- Michael Andretti joins his father Mario on the premises. The middle Andretti confirmed a RACER report that Craig Hampson will move into a team R&D role, with Nathan O’Rourke moving over from Sarah Fisher Hartman Racing to become James Hinchcliffe’s engineer. Hinchcliffe, who was scheduled to test Monday in Sebring, will not test now and that leaves just Ryan Hunter-Reay and Carlos Munoz to test.
- Charlie Kimball was also here today, in the midst of a whirlwind offseason, as a guest of the Mercedes F1 Team. Kimball said any rumblings about who could enter the Chip Ganassi Racing fold to replace the retired Dario Franchitti was “above his pay grade.”
Video from NASCAR America
- John Force like you’ve never seen him: ‘Papa John’ the grandfather (video) 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 2
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0