Vettel pleased to secure second pole at COTA

Nov 16, 2013, 4:15 PM EST

Vettel 16-11c Getty Images

Sebastian Vettel is pleased to have secured his second pole position at the Circuit of the Americas today ahead of the United States Grand Prix (live on NBC tomorrow from 1pm ET).

The German driver appeared to be lacking the pace of teammate Mark Webber in the final part of qualifying, falling over two-tenths behind the Australian’s time through the first two sectors of his final lap. However, a scintillating final sector from Vettel meant that he finished 0.103 seconds ahead of Webber to secure his forty-fourth pole position.

“It’s obviously great for the team to have both cars on the front row for tomorrow,” Vettel said after qualifying. “It was very close with Mark, he seemed to get closer and closer as the weekend went on, so fortunately I was just able to stay ahead. I think he might have had a mistake on his final run.

“I’m very happy with pole position today, I like this place and the circuit and I’m looking forward to tomorrow. It’s important to start on the clean side, so we’ll see what we can do.”

Vettel said that his efforts were not aided by the tricky conditions, with a strong wind making life more difficult for many of the drivers throughout the session on Saturday afternoon.

“It was a tricky session as the wind had picked up quite a bit since this morning; it does influence the behaviour of the car and it’s not that easy, especially in the corners, I wasn’t that happy with my first run in Q3, but I think I had a solid run at the end which was enough.”

It was a brilliant display from Vettel at the last to deny his teammate. He will be hoping to continue this form in the race tomorrow to claim his first grand prix victory on American soil and his eighth in a row.

1. Jeff - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I’m pleased too.
    Go Vettel!

2. ewyllis - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:39 PM

What an amazing display of complete incompetence by NBC sports, you cover q1, part of q2 and NONE of q3!! Amazing! And you don’t even have a pair to step up and apologize? If you can’t handle F1 give it back to SpeedTV.

• dirtyegg - Nov 17, 2013 at 12:56 PM

Amen to that!! Had to record Qualifying due to work, and come home to that!?!?
      An American TV channel showing the highest level of motorsports on American soil, and they can’t get it right… shameful.

3. racerphotog - Nov 16, 2013 at 11:32 PM

Qualifying was on CNBC live! I watched all of Q1, Q2, and Q3… I didn’t miss a thing. Even watched FP3 on the internet. Read the schedule in the article and you won’t miss a thing.

• moezilla - Nov 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

So when NBC brags and brags about their coverage of Formula 1 racing and then constantly screws up that coverage, how do you explain it? My favorite one was when the idiots posted the results of several Grand Prix races on the ticker at the bottom of the screen during the coverage of said races…ever here of the concept of time change? And if you schedule an hour and a half of qualifying coverage, perhaps you should show an hour and a half of qualifying, not 45 minutes of Olympic curling, 25 minutes of commercials, and 20 minutes of the event that you actually were saying that you would cover. They pulled the same moronic moves during their coverage of the Indy 500 this year. These aren’t isolated events, they are just terrible at their jobs…

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches