Nov 16, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
Sebastian Vettel is pleased to have secured his second pole position at the Circuit of the Americas today ahead of the United States Grand Prix (live on NBC tomorrow from 1pm ET).
The German driver appeared to be lacking the pace of teammate Mark Webber in the final part of qualifying, falling over two-tenths behind the Australian’s time through the first two sectors of his final lap. However, a scintillating final sector from Vettel meant that he finished 0.103 seconds ahead of Webber to secure his forty-fourth pole position.
“It’s obviously great for the team to have both cars on the front row for tomorrow,” Vettel said after qualifying. “It was very close with Mark, he seemed to get closer and closer as the weekend went on, so fortunately I was just able to stay ahead. I think he might have had a mistake on his final run.
“I’m very happy with pole position today, I like this place and the circuit and I’m looking forward to tomorrow. It’s important to start on the clean side, so we’ll see what we can do.”
Vettel said that his efforts were not aided by the tricky conditions, with a strong wind making life more difficult for many of the drivers throughout the session on Saturday afternoon.
“It was a tricky session as the wind had picked up quite a bit since this morning; it does influence the behaviour of the car and it’s not that easy, especially in the corners, I wasn’t that happy with my first run in Q3, but I think I had a solid run at the end which was enough.”
It was a brilliant display from Vettel at the last to deny his teammate. He will be hoping to continue this form in the race tomorrow to claim his first grand prix victory on American soil and his eighth in a row.
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 6
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 3
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 4
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 11
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0