Webber: Pole slipped through my fingers

Nov 16, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT

Mark Webber believes that pole position slipped through his fingers in today’s qualifying session for the United States Grand Prix, as the Australian driver finished just 0.103 seconds down on teammate Sebastian Vettel at the end of Q3.

Webber had looked poised to claim his third pole position in four races after going fastest on his first run and quicker still with his second run. However, a mistake at the final corner meant that Vettel’s stunning final lap did enough to edge out the Australian driver, and Webber knows that this was an opportunity missed.

“The first part of my final lap was very good, I was happy with that, but I didn’t quite get turns nineteen and twenty,” Webber said. “If I’d done what I did there initially in Q3, it would probably have been enough, but I tried to squeeze a bit more out and it’s easy to load the car a bit too much in these conditions.

“Sometimes you’re happy and think you’ve given your best, but today it slipped through the fingers. Well done to Seb, he put the three sectors together and I put two and a half together. I just dropped it in the last sector and it’s not satisfying when you do that, but I’m still pretty happy with second.”

This will be Mark Webber’s final appearance as a Formula One driver in the USA ahead of his retirement at the end of the season, and he will be hoping to sign off with a win in his final two races.

1. 1pda123 - Nov 16, 2013 at 8:18 PM

And Q3 slipped through the fingers of the oh so skilled editors at NBC Sports. Sounds like Q3 was as good as it has ever been. would have been nice to be able to see it. Still, we had 20 excruciating minutes of Q1 to make up for it:(

2. ewyllis - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:38 PM

What an amazing display of complete incompetence by NBC sports, you cover q1, part of q2 and NONE of q3!! Amazing! And you don’t even have a pair to step up and apologize? If you can’t handle F1 give it back to SpeedTV.

3. redchili2013 - Nov 16, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Completely insane. And the race isn’t even live tomorrow. Way to completely stuff things up NBC. 20+ years of watching F1 and this weekend so far is the worst.

4. racerphotog - Nov 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Qualifying was on CNBC live! I watched all of Q1, Q2, and Q3… I didn’t miss a thing. Even watched FP3 on the internet. Read the schedule in the article and you miss a thing.

5. worknman24hours - Nov 17, 2013 at 12:34 AM

All you can do is your best and be happy.

To Mark’s credit, he fessed up to exactly where he thought he lost the crucial few hundredths to lose the pole position.

Race On Mark! – Great Luck Tomorrow!

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches