Nov 17, 2013, 5:04 PM EDT
Romain Grosjean’s incredible second half of the season continued with his best result of the season in second place in the United States Grand Prix. It’s the Lotus’ driver’s second career runner-up finish, having also achieved the mark at the 2012 Canadian Grand Prix.
Grosjean’s last five results – third, third, third, fourth and now second – are the five best results in Formula One behind only Sebastian Vettel’s run of form. The podium is his sixth of the season in total and to celebrate after the podium, he wore a cowboy hat in the official FIA press conference.
As Grosjean admitted on the podium, coming in-between the Red Bulls today was the maximum possible.
“Yeah a good race; good start as I got past Mark and almost got Seb, but our car was working very well today,” he said to former Lotus F1 World Champion Mario Andretti. “The guys working in Enstone, to be between those two cars is our best. We have a podium here in the United States. It is great to come here and be back at a beautful track. Next year we need to be one step ahead.”
The Franco-Swiss has also, officially, been confirmed as the Enstone-based team’s number one driver for 2014. This has been assumed for some time, realistically since Kimi Raikkonen‘s announced departure to Ferrari, but never made formal until the podium this afternoon. A race for the second seat is occurring between several drivers.
Raikkonen’s stand-in, Heikki Kovalainen, ended the race 15th after some mid-race contact that damaged his front wing. It extends an unfortunate streak as it was his 62nd consecutive Grand Prix without a point, a record in the sport.
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 4
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 2
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1