Nov 17, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Sebastian Vettel may be pursuing an eighth straight victory in today’s United States Grand Prix (live on NBC from 1pm ET), but the German driver was made to work for pole position at the Circuit of the Americas yesterday. He proved just why he is a four-time world champion by pulling out an incredible final sector to pip teammate Mark Webber to pole, setting himself up to claim his first win on US soil in today’s race. However, with Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso ever-present in the top ten, the German driver will have to work if he is to check another race off of his list.
Following qualifying, there have been a few changes to the grid due to penalties (these are applied in order):
- Jenson Button received a three-place grid penalty for overtaking Daniil Kvyat under red flags during FP1 on Friday morning.
- Charles Pic received a five-place grid penalty for changing his gearbox on Saturday ahead of practice.
- Esteban Gutierrez received a ten-place grid penalty for blocking Pastor Maldonado during yesterday’s qualifying session.
- Max Chilton received a drive-through penalty for blocking Adrian Sutil during qualifying, and he will have to serve this during the first five laps of today’s race.
Starting grid for the United States Grand Prix
1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
2 Mark Webber Red Bull
3 Romain Grosjean Lotus
4 Nico Hulkenberg Sauber
5 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
6 Fernando Alonso Ferrari
7 Sergio Perez McLaren
8 Heikki Kovalainen Lotus
9 Valtteri Bottas Williams
10 Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso
11 Paul di Resta Force India
12 Nico Rosberg Mercedes
13 Felipe Massa Ferrari
14 Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
15 Jenson Button McLaren
16 Adrian Sutil Force India
17 Pastor Maldonado Williams
18 Giedo van der Garde Caterham
19 Jules Bianchi Marussia
20 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
21 Max Chilton Marussia
22 Charles Pic Caterham
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 0
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 1
- VIDEO: Chinese GP Paddock Pass 0
- BREAKING NEWS: Swan Racing’s future in NASCAR in question 2
- Long Beach weekend atmosphere thrills Roger Daltrey, as he promotes Teen Cancer America 0
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)