Nov 17, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Sebastian Vettel may be pursuing an eighth straight victory in today’s United States Grand Prix (live on NBC from 1pm ET), but the German driver was made to work for pole position at the Circuit of the Americas yesterday. He proved just why he is a four-time world champion by pulling out an incredible final sector to pip teammate Mark Webber to pole, setting himself up to claim his first win on US soil in today’s race. However, with Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso ever-present in the top ten, the German driver will have to work if he is to check another race off of his list.
Following qualifying, there have been a few changes to the grid due to penalties (these are applied in order):
- Jenson Button received a three-place grid penalty for overtaking Daniil Kvyat under red flags during FP1 on Friday morning.
- Charles Pic received a five-place grid penalty for changing his gearbox on Saturday ahead of practice.
- Esteban Gutierrez received a ten-place grid penalty for blocking Pastor Maldonado during yesterday’s qualifying session.
- Max Chilton received a drive-through penalty for blocking Adrian Sutil during qualifying, and he will have to serve this during the first five laps of today’s race.
Starting grid for the United States Grand Prix
1 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
2 Mark Webber Red Bull
3 Romain Grosjean Lotus
4 Nico Hulkenberg Sauber
5 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
6 Fernando Alonso Ferrari
7 Sergio Perez McLaren
8 Heikki Kovalainen Lotus
9 Valtteri Bottas Williams
10 Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso
11 Paul di Resta Force India
12 Nico Rosberg Mercedes
13 Felipe Massa Ferrari
14 Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
15 Jenson Button McLaren
16 Adrian Sutil Force India
17 Pastor Maldonado Williams
18 Giedo van der Garde Caterham
19 Jules Bianchi Marussia
20 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
21 Max Chilton Marussia
22 Charles Pic Caterham
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 1
- Force India confirms Sergio Perez on multi-year deal 2
- Nico Rosberg rallies to pole position in Abu Dhabi 0
- Rosberg closes out Abu Dhabi practice fastest 1
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Jimmie Johnson: Kevin Harvick winning Sprint Cup title was “the right thing” 21