Nov 17, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Adrian Sutil has lamented his bad luck after an incident on the first lap of the race saw him crash out and finish his United States Grand Prix weekend in the barrier at the Circuit of the Americas today.
Sutil made contact with Williams’ Pastor Maldonado whilst heading down the straight to turn twelve, spearing to the left and into the barrier at some speed. He emerged from his car unscathed, but the accident was big enough to warrant the deployment of the safety car for four laps.
“It feels like I ran out of luck this weekend,” Sutil said. “Up until Saturday morning I was looking competitive and was happy with the car, but all of that promise disappeared with the problems we had in qualifying.
“In the race I made a good start, gained a few positions and was racing ahead of Maldonado on the back straight. For some reason he hit my left rear wheel and I immediately lost control of the car and crashed into the barriers. I don’t really understand why he was so close to me because the track is so wide there. I stayed on my line and there was a lot of space to the right and the left. So it was an early finish and a very disappointing day.”
Currently without a drive for 2014, Sutil will be hoping to finish the season in style in Brazil next weekend in order to secure himself a place with Force India next year.
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 0
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 1