Nov 18, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Nico Hulkenberg said he was pleased with “a very solid result yet again” in the United States Grand Prix.
The Sauber driver qualified fourth and finished sixth at the Circuit of the Americas. That moved him within a point of Paul di Resta who is tenth in the championship.
“It was an interesting race,” said Hulkenberg. “I didn’t have to fight that much, only at the end with Fernando [Alonso], which was good fun.”
“Unfortunately in the crucial part of the race, about ten to 15 laps before the end, we didn’t quite have the pace of Fernando, so he was able to overtake me. During the last lap going into turn one I passed him, but then I just missed the apex and he was able to get me back at the exit.
“But we finished just a couple of seconds behind our competitors. I think it’s been a good weekend with a gain of a good eight points.”
Hulkenberg has enjoyed a strong second half of the season as Sauber have been more competitive since the change in tire compounds and improvements to the C32.
“If I’m not mistaken, since Monza that would have been the eighth points finish in a row if it wasn’t for the brake disc failure in India and the drive through in Abu Dhabi,” Hulkenberg added. “That’s a pretty impressive statistic.”
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 0
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 2
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14