Nov 18, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Nico Hulkenberg said he was pleased with “a very solid result yet again” in the United States Grand Prix.
The Sauber driver qualified fourth and finished sixth at the Circuit of the Americas. That moved him within a point of Paul di Resta who is tenth in the championship.
“It was an interesting race,” said Hulkenberg. “I didn’t have to fight that much, only at the end with Fernando [Alonso], which was good fun.”
“Unfortunately in the crucial part of the race, about ten to 15 laps before the end, we didn’t quite have the pace of Fernando, so he was able to overtake me. During the last lap going into turn one I passed him, but then I just missed the apex and he was able to get me back at the exit.
“But we finished just a couple of seconds behind our competitors. I think it’s been a good weekend with a gain of a good eight points.”
Hulkenberg has enjoyed a strong second half of the season as Sauber have been more competitive since the change in tire compounds and improvements to the C32.
“If I’m not mistaken, since Monza that would have been the eighth points finish in a row if it wasn’t for the brake disc failure in India and the drive through in Abu Dhabi,” Hulkenberg added. “That’s a pretty impressive statistic.”
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 2
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
- An anti-climactic race in China ahead of F1′s return to Europe 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)