Nov 18, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Nico Hulkenberg said he was pleased with “a very solid result yet again” in the United States Grand Prix.
The Sauber driver qualified fourth and finished sixth at the Circuit of the Americas. That moved him within a point of Paul di Resta who is tenth in the championship.
“It was an interesting race,” said Hulkenberg. “I didn’t have to fight that much, only at the end with Fernando [Alonso], which was good fun.”
“Unfortunately in the crucial part of the race, about ten to 15 laps before the end, we didn’t quite have the pace of Fernando, so he was able to overtake me. During the last lap going into turn one I passed him, but then I just missed the apex and he was able to get me back at the exit.
“But we finished just a couple of seconds behind our competitors. I think it’s been a good weekend with a gain of a good eight points.”
Hulkenberg has enjoyed a strong second half of the season as Sauber have been more competitive since the change in tire compounds and improvements to the C32.
“If I’m not mistaken, since Monza that would have been the eighth points finish in a row if it wasn’t for the brake disc failure in India and the drive through in Abu Dhabi,” Hulkenberg added. “That’s a pretty impressive statistic.”
- With three races left, who could still win in IndyCar, season 2015? 0
- Marcos Ambrose looks to salvage lost season in V8 Supercars, has had no issues ‘moving on’ from NASCAR 5
- NHRA: Big changes coming to Pro Stock this weekend, next season 16
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 6
- Ten with Townsend: Milwaukee and Iowa debrief 0
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 3