Nov 18, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
It’s early days yet, but Honda’s new twin-turbo IndyCar Series engine seems to have won over a mainstay from the manufacturer’s new flagship team.
“I’m very impressed with the power and delivery,” said Andretti Autosport’s Ryan Hunter-Reay (pictured), who was among several Honda drivers to test the new motor today at Sebring International Raceway.
“We’re all happy with how we started testing. The development side of it is a lot of fun. You have an opportunity to customize and personalize and have your impact on a program.
“What we do right now is important. To get every bit of data out of every day is crucial to the 2014 championship. All the hard work going into it will make a big difference come the season opener at St. Pete. It’s great to get back to it.”
Also testing Honda’s new twin-turbo today at Sebring were Graham Rahal and Simon Pagenaud. This past summer, the sanctioning body announced that all engines starting next season would be required to be twin-turbo; Honda had been running a single-turbo powerplant.
In addition to today marking his first run with the Honda twin-turbo, Rahal also got to work with new race engineer Bill Pappas for the first time.
“It was really great to be out here with Bill, [engineer] Eddie [Jones], and all of the guys to go through a list of things to test,” Rahal said in a team statement.
“…For the first time running on a road course, the twin-turbo ran awfully well. We made a lot of changes, made a lot of improvements that will help us going forward and we have some ideas for things that will help us even more.
“At the end of the day, that’s all we can ask for.”
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 4
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 4
- Montoya rallies for second Indianapolis 500 victory (VIDEO) 11
- Hamilton: Impossible to express how I feel after Monaco defeat 4