Nov 18, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost says he has no concerns about Daniil Kvyat lack of experience ahead of the Russian driver’s F1 debut next year.
“You never know when a driver shows his highest potential,” Tost told the official Formula One website. “For Red Bull the main reason for choosing Daniil was simply the fantastic performance he has shown during this year.”
“If you look at the GP3 races, at how powerfully he caught up and how exciting his victories were, this was really fantastic and won him the championship on his own merit. This is even more amazing as he came into GP3 without much preparation and almost immediately put his car on pole position and started to win races.”
Kvyat only gained his FIA superlicence shortly before having his first run for the team in an official F1 practice session at the Circuit of the Americas.
Tost accepts it may take some time for Kvyat to deliver on his potential. “It will take time, of course,” he said.
“He’s got the chance now and he has to take it now. It is not every year that you get a seat in F1 offered to you – and when you do you must take it. It’s the same with Daniel Ricciardo with Red Bull. It is never a question of when you are ready – you’d better be ready when the chance comes.”
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 0
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2