Nov 18, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
Toro Rosso team principal Franz Tost says he has no concerns about Daniil Kvyat lack of experience ahead of the Russian driver’s F1 debut next year.
“You never know when a driver shows his highest potential,” Tost told the official Formula One website. “For Red Bull the main reason for choosing Daniil was simply the fantastic performance he has shown during this year.”
“If you look at the GP3 races, at how powerfully he caught up and how exciting his victories were, this was really fantastic and won him the championship on his own merit. This is even more amazing as he came into GP3 without much preparation and almost immediately put his car on pole position and started to win races.”
Kvyat only gained his FIA superlicence shortly before having his first run for the team in an official F1 practice session at the Circuit of the Americas.
Tost accepts it may take some time for Kvyat to deliver on his potential. “It will take time, of course,” he said.
“He’s got the chance now and he has to take it now. It is not every year that you get a seat in F1 offered to you – and when you do you must take it. It’s the same with Daniel Ricciardo with Red Bull. It is never a question of when you are ready – you’d better be ready when the chance comes.”
- Lewis Hamilton explains decision to reject #1 for 2015 0
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Hamilton fastest as Mercedes impresses again on day three 0
- Happy 75th birthday to one of the best ever, Mario Andretti 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Friday 0
- Rosberg quickest as Mercedes shows its hand on day two 0
- Alexander Rossi confirms return to GP2 in 2015 with Racing Engineering 3