Nov 18, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
The weekend was a big one for Formula One and NASCAR, but it was also important for the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship, which staged its first open test of the winter at Sebring International Raceway. Topping the overall charts on both days of the test was the No. 5 Action Express Racing Corvette Daytona Prototype (pictured, from this past August at Road America).
On Saturday, Joao Barbosa led the way with an unofficial time of 1 minute, 53.266 seconds (118.871 miles per hour), and then on Sunday, IndyCar pilot Sebastien Bourdais took the No. 5 to P1 on the charts with a 1 minute, 53.748-second blitz (118.367 mph) around the famous Florida road course.
Both Barbosa and Bourdais were impressed with the newly modified Daytona Prototypes, which now feature bits such as a new diffuser, carbon brakes and a double-element rear wing.
“We were just bottoming out a little bit on the bumps in the first few laps, but we addressed that and the car felt really great,” Barbosa said to IMSA.com. “For the first few laps we have around here with carbon brakes, new aero and all the new stuff, it felt really good.”
“It’s a quicker car,” chimed in Bourdais. “I think we’ll gain about three seconds at Daytona. If we balance it, maybe there’s a bit more in it. The rear diffuser really helps set the back of the car down. These cars didn’t have much downforce before, but they have significantly more now.”
In all, over 2,800 laps and 10,000 miles were run in the two-day session at Sebring. Now, the TUSC heads to Daytona International Speedway for another two days of testing starting tomorrow.
The TUSC officially begins its inaugural season at Daytona with the Rolex 24 on Jan. 23-26, 2014.
Video from NASCAR America
- LeBron James’ agent involved in Darrell Wallace Jr.’s hunt for sponsorship 1
- Sponsorship woes leave Jeb Burton scrambling again for a NASCAR ride 3
- Sprint Cup champ Kevin Harvick: “I’m as comfortable as I’ve ever been” 0
- Danica Patrick enters final year of contract but wants to stay at Stewart-Haas 14
- Start times for 2015 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series races 9
- Bowyer on Gordon: “You’re never good with somebody when it got that ugly” 25
- NASCAR considers unveiling 2016 rules at Sprint All-Star Race in May 2