Nov 19, 2013, 3:15 PM EST
Paul di Resta’s future with Force India in Formula One is far from certain, the Scot may have to shift his focus stateside to IndyCar.
“I’ve always been slightly concerned about the safety of it [IndyCar], but sitting down and looking at it logically, it’s a serious option to look elsewhere because of the success he has had,” he said.
Di Resta made into F1 after starring in German Touring Cars; interestingly, Franchitti’s last year before he began his IndyCar career (then called the CART championship in 1997) was spent racing touring cars for Mercedes in the precursor to the modern DTM. It was Mercedes that brought Franchitti to the U.S. with Carl Hogan’s team.
You figure di Resta would only come to IndyCar for a “top drive,” and the open seat now vacated by Franchitti at Chip Ganassi Racing would fit the bill. And while Ganassi has taken on drivers from Europe in the past – a list that includes Alex Zanardi, Juan Pablo Montoya, Bruno Junqueira, Nicolas Minassian and Ryan Briscoe – he hasn’t pulled the trigger on such a move in nearly a decade.
Di Resta would also need to learn ovals, and with CGR expecting a challenge at the Indianapolis 500 every year with its fleet of entries, he’d need to learn them quickly.
Right now, just mark it down as another “potential” and only if he gets bounced from Force India after three seasons.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)