Nov 19, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
One special achievement stood out in Sunday’s United States Grand Prix: Sebastian Vettel became the first driver to win eight consecutive rounds of the world championship. Here are the top five stats from Sunday’s race.
Vettel’s record eight-in-a-row…
Vettel may have won eight races in a row but Alberto Ascari went one better, winning nine consecutive races from 1952 to 1953. However during that time Ascari did not enter the 1953 Indianapolis 500, which counted towards the world championship.
Note also that none of these races were run to F1 rules, as the world championship used F2 regulations in 1952 and 1953.
…and eighth hat-trick
Win, pole position, fastest lap: Vettel had them all in Austin, for the eighth time in his F1 career. Only three drivers racked up more during their careers: Michael Schumacher (22), Jim CLark (11) and Juan Manuel Fangio (9).
No points for Kovalainen
Heikki Kovalainen failed to score for Lotus on his F1 comeback. This meant he increased the record for most consecutive starts by an F1 driver without scoring a point to 61. Kovalainen went three seasons without scoring a point while driving for the previous Lotus team (2010-2011) which became Caterham (2012).
Bottas on the board
Valtteri Bottas became the 323rd different driver to score a point in F1 and the seventh Finnish driver to do so.
Vettel can equal wins record
Heading into this weekend’s Brazilian Grand Prix, Vettel could tie Schumacher’s record of winning 13 races in a season. However Schumacher did so in 2004 when there were 18 races – this year’s calendar has 19.
- Volkswagen Andretti pair of Foust, Speed seek better fortunes, consistency 0
- Hinchcliffe released from hospital, expected to make full recovery (VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit 0
- Drivers ponder why cars didn’t go airborne during the Indianapolis 500 5
- Bell: “A wild Indy 500 without the finish we desired” 0
- Ryan: Juan Pablo Montoya comes full circle at Indianapolis 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 5