Nov 20, 2013, 3:15 PM EDT
We noted on the ground back in June the impact that Roger Penske’s group has made for the revitalization of the Detroit Chevrolet Belle Isle Grand Prix from a corporate perspective. And earlier this week, the event announced there was more than $1 million new spending generated at this year’s doubleheader weekend.
A report done by sports consulting firm Sportsimpacts revealed the Grand Prix generated $46.3 million in total spending. Of that amount, $17 million represents new spending to the region as a result of non-local sources that will be retained long term as new income for Detroit-area households, businesses and government. The direct spending impact, which refers to all spending by local and non-local spectators, participants, and other expenditures towards event operations and infrastructure for the Grand Prix in 2013 was estimated at $28.8 million.
Detroit will host an encore of its doubleheader weekend in 2014, set for May 30-June 1. IndyCar has two races and the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship and Pirelli World Challenge share the bill. Tickets for the event go on sale today at www.detroitgp.com, and press events with drivers have been tweeted all day via the @DetroitGP Twitter handle.
Tickets also go on sale today for the Milwaukee IndyFest, a fellow Midwestern race on the IndyCar calendar that has shifted its date from June to August, post the Wisconsin State Fair. More information on this race, now renamed the (takes breath) ABC Supply Co., Inc. Wisconsin 250 of Milwaukee IndyFest Presented by the Metro Milwaukee Honda Dealers (exhales), can be found on the race website, www.milwaukeeindyfest.com.
I’ll argue here that clunky race names can be a good thing – Belle Isle’s IndyCar races are called the Chevrolet Indy Dual in Detroit Presented by Quicken Loans, as well – because it speaks to the excellent work by the Penske and Andretti Sports Marketing organizations to bring in more partners to support races on the IndyCar calendar.
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy 200 qualifying at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 0
- Dixon quickest with unofficial lap record in final practice at Mid-Ohio 0
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0