Nov 20, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
It was not the easiest year for Panther Racing on track in IndyCar this year, but team principal John Barnes did have something to celebrate on Tuesday.
Barnes was awarded the “Spirit of Hope” award in a ceremony at the United States Pentagon. The Spirit of Hope award is given annually to individuals whose, “commitment and dedication to service in support of the Armed Forces and their families embodies the ideals and values exemplified by the late Mr. Bob Hope.”
“This was an unbelievably humbling experience,” Barnes said in a release. “I can’t thank Admiral Winnefeld and everybody with the Department of Defense enough for this honor. When you work as closely as we do with National Guard soldiers and their families you can’t help but do everything in your power to support them however possible. I feel like Panther can always do more, and we’re always looking for ways to improve all of our programs and to represent all those men and women in the best way possible. But we don’t do it for awards like this; we do it because it’s right.”
At every IndyCar event, Barnes and the Panther team honor a “hometown hero” on behalf of the National Guard. Most recently the team formed its “Operation: Hire Our Guard” veteran unemployment program that fights unemployment issues facing National Guard soldiers.
The team released its first bit of sponsorship news earlier Wednesday with confirmation Charter Media has joined up in a multi-year partnership that includes at least one race as primary sponsor. Other details regarding its sponsorship portfolio or driver lineup for 2014 have yet to be revealed.
After JR Hildebrand was dismissed following the Indianapolis 500, Ryan Briscoe, Oriol Servia and Carlos Munoz took control of the No. 4 National Guard Chevrolet the rest of the season. None of the three matched Hildebrand’s best result of fifth, achieved at Long Beach in April.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 5
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)