Nov 20, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Mark Webber says he’s not concerned about missing out on Formula One’s radical technological overhaul next year he “will have that” through his move to Porsche.
Webber is leaving Red Bull after this weekend’s race to join Porsche’s World Endurance Championship squad.
“Technically they are very advanced and the closest thing to a Formula One car,” Webber told the official F1 website.
“I want a different environment, a different series – to get a bit more balance,” Webber explained. “Most of the decision is for the off-track stuff. You want to have more balance away from the racing.”
This year’s World Endurance Championship features eight events to F1’s 19.
“It will not be a rocket ship to success,” Webber said of his impending switch. “We have to work hard.”
“But it is a super famous company – one of the most famous automotive brands in the world – so that is very exciting for me.”
Webber will also be returning to the Le Mans 24 Hours endurance race. He previously competed with Mercedes at the La Sarthe track but suffered two high-speed crashes in which his car flipped over violently.
“I still have unfinished business at Le Mans,” Webber added. “I loved racing at Le Mans, even if we had tough times there.”
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 1
- IndyCar confirms Boston race for 2016 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tops quiet second Monaco GP practice 0
- Hamilton quickest in opening practice for Monaco GP 0
- James Hinchcliffe transferred out of ICU, full recovery expected 4
- Tony Kanaan says older part, reinforced suspension contributed to Hinchcliffe’s crash and injury 7