Nov 21, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
With the IndyCar season in the books and a limited amount of news to come since the season finale at Fontana, my MotorSportsTalk colleague Chris Estrada and are taking a look back at the 2013 season just past. Chris and I each ranked our top 10 drivers and some of the biggest stories; now we take a look back at the field driver-by-driver.
In third place, the giant-killer and emerging star, Simon Pagenaud…
- Team: Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports
- 2012: 5th Place, Best Finish 2nd, Best Start 3rd
- 2013: 3rd Place, 2 Wins, Best Start 3rd, 3 Podiums, 5 Top-5, 13 Top-10, 39 Laps Led, 11.6 Avg. Start, 8.3 Avg. Finish
DiZinno says: Pagenaud finishing third in the No. 77 HP SHM Honda is the IndyCar equivalent of the Pittsburgh Pirates making the playoffs versus the large market baseball teams. The Schmidt team has found a way to do more with less, and coupled with a driver renowned for his technical expertise and car development ability, they overachieved for the second straight year. Pagenaud continued to work in harmony with engineer Ben Bretzman, team manager Rob Edwards and the rest of this crew. Yeah, their qualifying could have been better, but a pair of wins and no finish worse than 13th outside of a DNF at St. Pete was a pretty damn good year.
Estrada says: After going fifth in the 2012 title race, the question was whether or not Pagenaud and Schmidt Hamilton Motorsports could continue their progress and truly evolve into a top-tier team. In 2013, they emphatically answered in the affirmative – two wins at Belle Isle (Race 2) and Baltimore, plus 13 Top-10s altogether, showed that the Pagenaud/SHM pairing is one that has championship potential. If they can buckle down on Saturdays and get a bit higher up on the starting grid, it could unlock more Sunday podiums for the Frenchman next year. Altogether, you can’t help but be impressed at what the No. 77 camp has been doing over the last couple of seasons.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1