Nov 21, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
A healthy contingent of IndyCar and Mazda Road to Indy competitors are in Las Vegas this weekend to race in the 17th edition of the SuperKarts USA SuperNationals.
One of the biggest events on the karting calendar, the 11-class SuperNationals weekend is being staged on a temporary track inside the parking lot of the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino.
Three IndyCar drivers – KVSH Racing’s Sebastien Bourdais, Team Penske’s Will Power, and Andretti Autosport’s latest hire, Carlos Munoz – are on the entry list.
Bourdais is racing as part of the Rotax DD2 shifter class, Power is making his SuperNationals debut as part of the TaG Masters class, and Munoz will be in the KZ2 Super Pro class.
As for the MRTI group, Indy Lights championship runner-up Gabby Chaves is back to defend his 2012 race win in the TaG Senior class. Another Indy Lights racer, Matthew Di Leo, and USF2000 champ Scott Hargrove are competing in the S1 Pro Stock Moto class. Pro Mazda pilot Zack Meyer will race against Munoz in KZ2 Super Pro.
Finally, 13-year-old Colton Herta, the son of Barracuda Racing owner Bryan Herta, is slated to run in the TaG Junior class.
A full rundown of the event format and schedule can be found on SuperKarts USA’s official website.
Video from NASCAR America
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 1
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3