Nov 21, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
A healthy contingent of IndyCar and Mazda Road to Indy competitors are in Las Vegas this weekend to race in the 17th edition of the SuperKarts USA SuperNationals.
One of the biggest events on the karting calendar, the 11-class SuperNationals weekend is being staged on a temporary track inside the parking lot of the Rio All-Suite Hotel & Casino.
Three IndyCar drivers – KVSH Racing’s Sebastien Bourdais, Team Penske’s Will Power, and Andretti Autosport’s latest hire, Carlos Munoz – are on the entry list.
Bourdais is racing as part of the Rotax DD2 shifter class, Power is making his SuperNationals debut as part of the TaG Masters class, and Munoz will be in the KZ2 Super Pro class.
As for the MRTI group, Indy Lights championship runner-up Gabby Chaves is back to defend his 2012 race win in the TaG Senior class. Another Indy Lights racer, Matthew Di Leo, and USF2000 champ Scott Hargrove are competing in the S1 Pro Stock Moto class. Pro Mazda pilot Zack Meyer will race against Munoz in KZ2 Super Pro.
Finally, 13-year-old Colton Herta, the son of Barracuda Racing owner Bryan Herta, is slated to run in the TaG Junior class.
A full rundown of the event format and schedule can be found on SuperKarts USA’s official website.
- Report: Toto Wolff speaks out against F1′s double points finale 2
- IndyCar: Toronto weekend analysis, musings and observations 0
- NASCAR’s Brian France on RTA’s formation: “We didn’t think it was necessary” 11
- Eldora and Indy putting a lot on Tony Stewart’s plate 0
- Todd Gilliland, 14, outdistances father David, grandfather Butch in first time they’ve all raced together 0