Nov 21, 2013, 10:08 AM EST
Juan Pablo Montoya‘s much-anticipated return to IndyCar occurs on Monday at Sebring International Raceway, in his first scheduled laps for Team Penske.
Montoya’s return was announced a couple months ago but his NASCAR commitments with Chip Ganassi Racing ended after Sunday’s Sprint Cup season finale at Homestead.
Now, on Monday, he’ll take the reins of one of the team’s three chassis. He’s set for the No. 2 car with at least part of its sponsorship to be announced soon.
The test was originally slated for Barber Motorsports Park but per the Associated Press’ Jenna Fryer, was moved due to weather concerns.
Test at Sebring for Montoya on Monday was originally scheduled for Barber but moved because of weather concerns. #IndyCar
— Jenna Fryer (@JennaFryer) November 21, 2013
For Montoya, it will be his first run in an open-wheel car since his Formula One career ended midway through 2006 with McLaren. He drove two full seasons in CART in 1999 and 2000, winning seven races and series championship as a rookie and then the Indianapolis 500 (under IRL sanction) the following year.
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 1
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3
- Barcelona F1 2nd Test Paddock Notebook – Sunday 1
- F1 pre-season testing ends with Bottas fastest for Williams 1