Nov 21, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT
Juan Pablo Montoya‘s much-anticipated return to IndyCar occurs on Monday at Sebring International Raceway, in his first scheduled laps for Team Penske.
Montoya’s return was announced a couple months ago but his NASCAR commitments with Chip Ganassi Racing ended after Sunday’s Sprint Cup season finale at Homestead.
Now, on Monday, he’ll take the reins of one of the team’s three chassis. He’s set for the No. 2 car with at least part of its sponsorship to be announced soon.
The test was originally slated for Barber Motorsports Park but per the Associated Press’ Jenna Fryer, was moved due to weather concerns.
Test at Sebring for Montoya on Monday was originally scheduled for Barber but moved because of weather concerns. #IndyCar
— Jenna Fryer (@JennaFryer) November 21, 2013
For Montoya, it will be his first run in an open-wheel car since his Formula One career ended midway through 2006 with McLaren. He drove two full seasons in CART in 1999 and 2000, winning seven races and series championship as a rookie and then the Indianapolis 500 (under IRL sanction) the following year.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 1
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 3
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2