Nov 21, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT
Juan Pablo Montoya‘s much-anticipated return to IndyCar occurs on Monday at Sebring International Raceway, in his first scheduled laps for Team Penske.
Montoya’s return was announced a couple months ago but his NASCAR commitments with Chip Ganassi Racing ended after Sunday’s Sprint Cup season finale at Homestead.
Now, on Monday, he’ll take the reins of one of the team’s three chassis. He’s set for the No. 2 car with at least part of its sponsorship to be announced soon.
The test was originally slated for Barber Motorsports Park but per the Associated Press’ Jenna Fryer, was moved due to weather concerns.
Test at Sebring for Montoya on Monday was originally scheduled for Barber but moved because of weather concerns. #IndyCar
— Jenna Fryer (@JennaFryer) November 21, 2013
For Montoya, it will be his first run in an open-wheel car since his Formula One career ended midway through 2006 with McLaren. He drove two full seasons in CART in 1999 and 2000, winning seven races and series championship as a rookie and then the Indianapolis 500 (under IRL sanction) the following year.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 0
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 1
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0