Nov 21, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT
Juan Pablo Montoya‘s much-anticipated return to IndyCar occurs on Monday at Sebring International Raceway, in his first scheduled laps for Team Penske.
Montoya’s return was announced a couple months ago but his NASCAR commitments with Chip Ganassi Racing ended after Sunday’s Sprint Cup season finale at Homestead.
Now, on Monday, he’ll take the reins of one of the team’s three chassis. He’s set for the No. 2 car with at least part of its sponsorship to be announced soon.
The test was originally slated for Barber Motorsports Park but per the Associated Press’ Jenna Fryer, was moved due to weather concerns.
Test at Sebring for Montoya on Monday was originally scheduled for Barber but moved because of weather concerns. #IndyCar
— Jenna Fryer (@JennaFryer) November 21, 2013
For Montoya, it will be his first run in an open-wheel car since his Formula One career ended midway through 2006 with McLaren. He drove two full seasons in CART in 1999 and 2000, winning seven races and series championship as a rookie and then the Indianapolis 500 (under IRL sanction) the following year.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)