Nov 21, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
After serving as crew chief for the No. 14 car over the past two seasons at Stewart-Haas Racing, Steve Addington is jumping to Phoenix Racing to be crew chief for its No. 51 Chevrolet, which is currently without a driver.
Addington helped Tony Stewart earn four wins across 2012 and 2013 (2012 – Las Vegas, Fontana, Daytona 400; 2013 – Dover), and also led efforts from substitute drivers Mark Martin, Austin Dillon and Max Papis following Stewart’s season-ending crash in a sprint car race this past August.
“I am thrilled to be part of the Phoenix Racing team and working with [owner] Harry [Scott Jr.],” Addington said in a team statement. “Harry has a vision to make this team a championship contender and I am excited to be part of it.”
“In my opinion Steve is the perfect guy for the job,” Scott himself said. “He is part of the Chevrolet family, the Hendrick family and I feel fortunate that he is now part of our family.”
Addington will replace Jimmy Elledge, who served as the No. 51’s interim crew chief for the final six races of this year’s Sprint Cup season after Nick Harrison left to become the crew chief for Richard Childress Racing’s No. 33 team in the Nationwide Series.
Phoenix hopes that Addington can be a mainstay as the team looks for a sense of stability after using a whopping 12 drivers this past season. The last of which was upcoming Sprint Cup rookie and NNS rookie of the year Kyle Larson, who finished 15th last Sunday in the season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway.
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 8
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 8
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1