Nov 23, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
Lotus team principal Eric Boullier has said that the impending deal with Quantum Motorsports that will secure the team fresh investment should be completed next weekend despite rumors about the certainty of the deal.
The deal is thought to see Quantum – a consortium made up of several investors – claim a 35% stake in Lotus and alleviate the team’s financial uncertainty. As a result, Nico Hulkenberg would be able to sign for the 2014 season. However, given that this deal has been spoken about for several months with little movement, doubts are beginning to arise. Boullier is confident that the deal will be finalized soon though.
“Well, there is still some discussion ongoing, especially now between bankers,” Boullier said. “The process is not fully completed but I think part of it has been done, which is obviously a good sign for the weekend and we hope that everything is closed by early next week.”
Boullier also dismissed any questions about the integrity of Quantum’s leader, Mansoor Ijaz, insisting that the deal is concrete and sound.
“Fortunately we don’t have to base our judgement only on Google, with all respect to Google for what they are doing,” the Frenchman said when asked about Ijaz. “We have very serious proof of funds and good compliance of what is Quantum Motorsport.”
All eyes will now be on Lotus and Quantum to see if the deal does indeed go ahead, as it will have implication on the driver market for next season. Should Hulkenberg fail to get the seat, Pastor Maldonado is thought to be the next choice, but his financial backing from PDVSA is also in question.
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1