Nov 23, 2013, 4:30 PM EDT
Sergio Perez finished his final qualifying session as a McLaren driver in the wall after making a mistake in the wet conditions on Saturday in Brazil.
The Mexican driver lost control of his car on the exit of turn five on the damp track and subsequently speared into the wall on the left hand side of the hill towards turns six and seven. However, the Mexican driver emerged unhurt and played down the severity of the shunt after qualifying.
“My accident in Q2 looked bigger than it actually was,” Perez explained. “As soon as I lost the car, I went over the grass and hit the wall, but it was only a slight hit, and the car wasn’t too badly damaged.
“It was a pity, but I was giving it my all. I knew it was my last opportunity to set a time; it was getting wetter, and I was pushing right to the limit, because I knew the car wasn’t responding well. I was trying my hardest, in other words.”
Nevertheless, Perez still finished in fourteenth place and ahead of teammate Jenson Button who finished one place further back in P15. The Mexican driver remains confident that he can make up for his error during the race tomorrow in what will be his final race for McLaren.
“In similar conditions, I still think we can make up some positions tomorrow,” Perez said. “I’m looking forward to the race – I hope we can end the season on a high.”
Perez will leave the team at the end of the season to make way for junior driver Kevin Magnussen, who will make his debut with McLaren in 2014. Perez is thought to be in talks with Force India and Sauber over a drive, but he is yet to confirm who he will drive for next season.
- Texas Motor Speedway president Eddie Gossage plans to talk with IndyCar about potential changes to cars 0
- Hamilton storms to first Monaco GP pole position 0
- Vettel fastest for Ferrari in final practice for Monaco GP 0
- Chip Ganassi lobbying for IndyCar schedule changes 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar, Indy Lights Carb Day (11 a.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- IndyCar driver raises concern about design of wishbone that injured James Hinchcliffe in crash 4
- F1 Paddock Pass: Monaco Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0