Nov 23, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Mercedes driver Nico Rosberg is pleased to have qualified in second place for the Brazilian Grand Prix, believing that even a perfect lap would not have been enough to stop compatriot Sebastian Vettel from securing pole position for tomorrow’s race.
Rosberg had finished fastest in both of the wet sessions on Friday, and he excelled in the wet once again in qualifying to finish four-tenths clear of third-placed Fernando Alonso.
“It was a good day today, everything went to plan,” Rosberg said. “It’s always extremely tough in these conditions, because it’s just all over the place and you need to make sure you don’t get caught out. The whole team, we all did a good job and perfect strategy also in the end, doing those two consecutive laps with the inter, got a good lap together, happy with that.”
However, Rosberg has admitted that he is surprised by the 0.6 second gap to Vettel at the front, although he believes that the four-time world champion was unstoppable on Saturday at Interlagos.
“I’m surprised about the gap to Sebastian, it’s very big. Definitely it would have been difficult even getting everything perfect to come close to him, so that’s fine. Optimum was second place and we got that, so it’s okay and it’s a great place to start for tomorrow.”
Rosberg is best-placed to prevent Vettel from taking a record-equalling ninth consecutive victory in Brazil on Sunday, but Mercedes will be hoping that he does enough to ensure that the team finishes as runners-up to Red Bull in the constructors’ championship with Ferrari and Lotus both in contention.
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3