Nov 23, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
BAR1 Motorsports and Scuderia Corsa will each field two entries in the Prototype Challenge and GTD categories respectively for the 2014 Tudor United SportsCar Championship.
BAR1 finished the 2013 American Le Mans Series season on a tear with three consecutive victories for its No. 8 ORECA FLM09 at Circuit of the Americas, Virginia International Raceway and the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta. One of the No. 8’s drivers, Chris Cumming, narrowly missed out on the PC class driver’s championship by a single point to Mike Gausch.
“Looking back at 2013, I can’t say enough about the effort our team put forth,” said BAR1 team owner Brian Alder in a statement. “To win the final three races of the season was a huge accomplishment. We finished on the podium a total of eight times this season. We proved week in and out we are one of the premier teams in the highly competitive Prototype Challenge class.”
“Today’s announcement serves notice we’ll be back to finish the job. We want more wins and we want the championship.”
As for Corsa, they’ll field the No. 63 and No. 64 Ferrari 458 Italias for the inaugural TUSC season. The No. 63 will feature the final GRAND-AM GT champion, Alessandro Balzan, pairing up with Jeff Westphal. Dr. Rod Randall and Ken Wilden are set to drive the No. 64.
“I’m very happy to be joining such a great championship team,” Wilden said in a Corsa release. “The Ferrari 458 is an awesome car. Scuderia Corsa has done an exceptional job in the series and we look forward to the year ahead.
“Rod and I both felt this was a great opportunity after running with the team at Indy last year; it was such a great fit and an easy decision. We are looking forward to a very competitive season.”
The No. 63 Ferrari was the fastest in GTD during this past week’s test session at Daytona International Speedway.
Video from NASCAR America
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 2
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 16