Nov 23, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
Sebastian Vettel is pleased to have secured his ninth pole position of the season in Brazil today despite the tricky weather conditions that warranted a forty minute delay before the final part of qualifying.
The German driver did not let the wet conditions get the better of him and secured pole by over six-tenths of a second ahead of compatriot Nico Rosberg. However, Vettel admitted that he was surprised that he was able to use intermediate tires during the final session after the severity of the rain.
“It took a long time for us to get out,” he said. “There was a lot of rain after Q2, and then we needed to wait. If there is too much water on the track it is a shame for the people who wait. I was surprised by how much of the water had gone, I went straight on the intermediates and was able to get a very very good lap in straight away. I tried again on the second to beat that, and was very close, so with both my laps I was very happy, surprised by the margin.”
Vettel was also delighted to have secured the final pole position of the 2013 season given that he had set just one lap time during the final practice session on Saturday morning.
“Great in these conditions to get it all right, we’ve had very little practice and still got the car where we wanted it to be in the end so very happy.”
The four-time world champion is now chasing his ninth consecutive victory in Brazil, and should he win the race, he would equal Alberto Ascari’s long-standing record that was set across two seasons in 1952 and 1953.
- Power wins Verizon P1 Award in Detroit with new track record 1
- Preview: Detroit’s doubleheader a crucial weekend for IndyCar championship 0
- ARCA: From welder to race car driver, Sarah Cornett-Ching continues her building prowess 2
- Taylor Swift to be featured on Tony Kanaan’s IndyCar in Detroit; will she make it to track? 7
- Surprises, struggles: NHRA at one-third mark of ’15 season 5
- FIA seeking new teams for Formula 1 in 2016 and 2017 8
- Gossage to Walker: “We need a more competitive race this year than last year” 2