Nov 24, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
Lewis Hamilton’s first year with Mercedes came to a sour conclusion today in Brazil, as he finished ninth following a run-in with Williams’ Valtteri Bottas and a subsequent drive-through penalty for his role in the incident.
Sunday was a mixed bag for the former World Champion. His Mercedes squad managed to lock up second in the constructors’ championship behind Red Bull, but Hamilton slipped to fourth in the driver’s table behind the now-retired Mark Webber.
Had he been able to hang on to third, it would’ve been his first Top-3 result in the driver’s standings since 2008.
“From my side, it was a tough race today,” Hamilton said. “I don’t know what happened exactly with Valtteri and will have to have a look at the replay. I thought that I had moved to the left, he outbraked me and then we touched but it happened so quickly and it was obviously judged that I did something wrong.”
In his comments to NBCSN’s Will Buxton (seen above), Hamilton was markedly bothered about his season altogether despite coming out very well from his move over to Mercedes from the struggling McLaren.
On the other side of the coin, Hamilton was pleased that his team claimed the No. 2 spot in the constructors’ table, its best showing there since returning to Formula One in 2010.
“It’s the reward for what I know has been many years of hard work and my thoughts are with everyone here at the track and back at our factories at Brackley and Brixworth,” the Brit said.
“We’ve got so much to look forward to next season so I’ll put today behind me quickly and focus on what should be a great year in 2014.”
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 0
- Hamilton delighted after claiming 40th career pole (VIDEO) 0
- Hamilton tames wet conditions to grab pole in Malaysia 0
- Rosberg closes out Malaysian GP practice fastest 0
- NHRA: Rain washes out Friday’s first two rounds of qualifying four 4-Wide Nationals 2
- The Equalization Conundrum: Should F1 put sport to one side in favor of ‘the show’? 5
- Practice setbacks leave Hamilton “quite a bit off” in Malaysia (VIDEO) 2