Nov 24, 2013, 5:15 PM EDT
Christian Horner has thanked Mark Webber for his contributions during his time with Red Bull as the Australian driver took part in his final race for the team today in Brazil.
Webber produced a good drive in difficult conditions to make up for a poor start and work his way up to second place by the time the checkered flag fell at Interlagos, and it meant that he secured third place in the drivers’ championship to cap off a good season.
Having joined Red Bull in 2007, Webber has enjoyed most of his success with the team, claiming forty-one podiums and nine race wins at Milton Keynes as well as playing a part in four constructors’ championship wins. After the race, Horner was full of nothing but praise for Webber.
“For Mark, it was fantastic that he finished his Formula One career on the podium with a really gutsy drive,” Horner said. “His moves on Rosberg, Hamilton and twice on Alonso showed what a real racer he is and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank him for the invaluable contribution that he’s made to the team, to the four constructors’ championships that we have won together and for all his hard work and efforts throughout the last seven years.
“As he moves on to a new challenge we wish him the very, very best to him and his family for the future.”
Webber is set to join Porsche’s LMP1 programme in 2014, but he has most certainly left his mark on Formula One by establishing himself as one of the legends of the sport in the 21st century.
- Preview: Barber marks end of IndyCar’s first quarter of 2015 (VIDEO) 0
- Ryan Hunter-Reay looks to right 2015 season by completing winning trilogy at Barber Motorsports Park 0
- As GP2 turns 10 years old, where is the Class of ’05 now? 0
- Here’s your IndyCar times for this weekend’s Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama 0
- F1: Year-on-year, Ferrari’s gains, Mercedes’ continued edge reins after four races 0
- Racing community reflects on the loss of Fox Sports’ broadcaster Steve Byrnes 8
- Sam Schmidt’s inspirational lap in SAM Project, Arrow Corvette on NBC Nightly News (VIDEO, PHOTOS) 2