Nov 24, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
Australia’s V8 Supercars championship will go down to the final race of the season in two weeks at Sydney.
This weekend at Phillip Island, Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup split victories in the penultimate round of 2013. But with one race to go, Whincup (pictured) holds a 20-point edge over Lowndes. Bathurst 1000 winner Mark Winterbottom (-124 points) and Will Davison (-223 points) are still in contention for the title as well.
In Race 1, Lowndes took the lead from teammate Whincup with six laps to go and went on to win by one second. But in Race 2, Whincup charged from fifth on the starting grid to the point on Lap 2 and then endured multiple safety car periods before hanging on for the victory.
“It’s all going to come down to the last race,” Whincup said of the championship according to the Supercars’ official web site. “I think it’s a good script and it’s going to be a good battle. It’s not just going to be…us out doing it easy, the other guys will all be in for a scrap.
“There’s no margin really, we have all got an opportunity. It is so easy in Sydney to DNF or have a bad run. The three of us have got equal opportunity.”
The final battleground for Whincup, Lowndes, Winterbottom and Davison will be the Sydney 500 from Dec. 6-8 on a 2.2-mile street circuit that winds through Sydney’s Olympic Park.
Whincup, the defending series champion, will be gunning for his fifth Supercar title, Lowndes his fourth, and Winterbottom and Davison each, their first. It bears noting that Lowndes and Davison split wins in last year’s season-finale at Sydney.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)