Nov 24, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Australia’s V8 Supercars championship will go down to the final race of the season in two weeks at Sydney.
This weekend at Phillip Island, Craig Lowndes and Jamie Whincup split victories in the penultimate round of 2013. But with one race to go, Whincup (pictured) holds a 20-point edge over Lowndes. Bathurst 1000 winner Mark Winterbottom (-124 points) and Will Davison (-223 points) are still in contention for the title as well.
In Race 1, Lowndes took the lead from teammate Whincup with six laps to go and went on to win by one second. But in Race 2, Whincup charged from fifth on the starting grid to the point on Lap 2 and then endured multiple safety car periods before hanging on for the victory.
“It’s all going to come down to the last race,” Whincup said of the championship according to the Supercars’ official web site. “I think it’s a good script and it’s going to be a good battle. It’s not just going to be…us out doing it easy, the other guys will all be in for a scrap.
“There’s no margin really, we have all got an opportunity. It is so easy in Sydney to DNF or have a bad run. The three of us have got equal opportunity.”
The final battleground for Whincup, Lowndes, Winterbottom and Davison will be the Sydney 500 from Dec. 6-8 on a 2.2-mile street circuit that winds through Sydney’s Olympic Park.
Whincup, the defending series champion, will be gunning for his fifth Supercar title, Lowndes his fourth, and Winterbottom and Davison each, their first. It bears noting that Lowndes and Davison split wins in last year’s season-finale at Sydney.
- Dixon fastest on Friday at Mid-Ohio 1
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 2
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 1
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 9
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1