Nov 25, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Force India deputy team principal Bob Fernley says securing sixth place in the constructors’ championship proves Force India are the “best non-manufacturer team” in F1.
The team secured sixth in the championship despite coming under pressure from Sauber in the closing stages of the season.
“Although we missed out on points today, we achieved the objective that we set ourselves coming into the weekend to defend our sixth place in the championship,” said Fernley after yesterday’s Brazilian Grand Prix.
“In the end we did that quite comfortably, which is a real credit to everybody at Sahara Force India. It means we’ve finished in the top six twice in the last three seasons, consolidating our reputation as being the best non-manufacturer team.”
Force India ended the year with 77 points which was 32 less than they scored last year when they finished seventh in the championship.
“Looking back on the season as a whole I think we can be proud of our performance,” said Fernley. “The start of the year was exceptional and we recaptured our form in the final few races.”
Force India were one of the teams that were hardest hit by the mid-season change in tire construction. Having amassed 59 points in the opening eight races they only added 18 more over the last 11 rounds.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)