Nov 25, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
With the IndyCar season in the books and a limited amount of news to come since the season finale at Fontana, my MotorSportsTalk colleague Chris Estrada and are taking a look back at the 2013 season just past. Chris and I each ranked our top 10 drivers and some of the biggest stories; now we take a look back at the field driver-by-driver.
In ninth place, one of the breakout stars of 2013, Mid-Ohio winner Charlie Kimball…
- Team: Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing
- 2012: 19th Place, Best Finish 2nd, Best Start 9th
- 2013: 9th Place, 1 Win, Best Start 4th, 2 Podiums, 3 Top-5, 10 Top-10, 80 Laps Led, 12.8 Avg. Start, 10.9 Avg. Finish
DiZinno says: I love how this kid has grown up and silenced the doubters. Often overlooked, ridiculed and derided for the first year-and-a-half of his IndyCar career as just “that driver with diabetes,” “Chuck strong” began to show signs of life with the 2012 pass of the year and a runner-up finish in Toronto. He took it a step further in 2013 with another jaw-dropper at Barber, on Will Power of all people. Then he added second in Pocono, a masterfully executed first win at Mid-Ohio (yeah, I called it), and another excellent drive in Fontana. To finish ninth in points in this caliber field is a credit to his development and the quality of people around him at Novo Nordisk Chip Ganassi Racing. It could not happen to a nicer individual.
Estrada says: When Kimball first entered the big leagues in 2011, there was some doubt as to whether he really belonged. Three years later, he’s firmly become part of IndyCar’s “new generation” of talent after methodically improving over time. In 2013, the Californian showed that he can now be counted on as a regular contender in the series after great runs at Barber (fourth), Pocono (runner-up), and Mid-Ohio, where he pulled off a three-stop strategy and bested Simon Pagenaud in the closing laps to take his inaugural career win. This was the year that Kimball had to really start putting results on the board, and he did the job.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 0
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 0
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 0
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0
- Krista Voda to become host for NASCAR on NBC coverage next year 2
- VIDEO: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show, talks about F1 in the U.S. 2
- Tune-In: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY Show (PHOTOS) 1