Nov 25, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
With the IndyCar season in the books and a limited amount of news to come since the season finale at Fontana, my MotorSportsTalk colleague Chris Estrada and are taking a look back at the 2013 season just past. Chris and I each ranked our top 10 drivers and some of the biggest stories; now we take a look back at the field driver-by-driver.
In eighth place, IndyCar’s resident court jester and the second of four first-time winners in 2013, James Hinchcliffe…
- Team: Andretti Autosport
- 2012: 8th Place, Best Finish 3rd, Best Start 2nd
- 2013: 8th Place, 3 Wins, Best Start 2nd, 4 Podiums, 6 Top-5, 11 Top-10, 264 Laps Led, 9.1 Avg. Start, 12.3 Avg. Finish
DiZinno says: Hinch is known as the comedian of the IndyCar paddock and his season was the equivalent of a sitcom: it alternated brilliant episodes with clunkers on a regular basis. Three wins were balanced out by four finishes of 21st or worse in the first 11 races, before six top-10s in the final eight races concluded the year. The sitcom metaphor continues because in the second half of the year, Hinch had to keep producing great on-track performances while mulling his future: do I take my talents to another channel (team) or stay with the network (team) where I’ve grown further? He chose the latter, he’ll be better for it and he’ll rock even harder in 2014.
Estrada says: After a wildly uneven first half in which he rarely found the middle ground between finishing up front and finishing in the back, Hinchcliffe put together a steady stretch of good results to close what was a pivotal year for him. Unlike in the past, Hinchcliffe was in a position of strength when it came time to Silly Season and his work on the track didn’t do anything to take away from it. Now thoroughly ensconced within the Andretti camp, the Canadian will now be looking to maintain that consistency he had toward the end of 2013 and bring it into next spring.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)